The first road you come to is Sharp’s Lane. “Sharp’s Lane is named after John A. Sharp who acquired the property in the mid- Victorian era. Although this narrow side road ran little more than a mile north of thSharpes Lane July 2006 (1)e river, more contraband goods are reputed to have flowed north and south on this road than any comparable road in Canada, due to tons of supplies being brought in for the Rideau District” (The Story of Brockville by Glenn J.Lockwood pub 2006)

It was the most important Smuggler’s Highway during the War of 1812 between the St, Lawrence River and the Ottawa Valley. “Perhaps more contraband goods have flowed, both north and south, on this road than any other similar road in Canada” McKim wrote “ The fact that it was little used and led directly into the country made it an ideal location for those enterprises. This was no petty smuggling by some farmer, but a wholesale running of goods by the ton to supply the stores in the Rideau District and beyond. Tea, tobacco, cotton and many other articles were delivered at the foot of this road, and hidden in the woods or a farmer’s barn. Many a farmer has uncovered a load of goods in his hay-mow. He said nothing and the goods disappeared in a day or two. Live horses were the principal commodity smuggled south into the United States. The horses were made to swim the river. Adventure, excitement, risk and profit lured the men into the quiet hours of the night on the Smuggler’s Highway. Now all is quiet on the riverfront and few remember the good old days. (Elizaethtown: The Last of the Royal Townships by Alvin Austin pub 2009)

4 thoughts on “Sharpe’s Lane

  1. My grandparents moved to the property on the corner of Sharpe’s Lane & Prescott Road in 1924. They were directly across the street from Old Johnny Sharpe. An interesting history on Sharpe’s Lane.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: