Tin Cap School
(Sectional School #9)
A Brief History of the old Tincap school its’ teachers and students.
When the first frame school was erected around 1802 a shinny cap of tin was set on the cupola. It could be seen for miles, particularly on sunny days.
The school stood near the intersection of Hwy no. 29 and Kilkenny Road on the south sidde of Kilkenny Road. Col. David Breakinridge, later known as the “Duke of Leeds” or “Squire Breakinridge” was given a crown grant at Tincap in 1802 and the school was later built on a lot partitioned from this grant.
The first stone school was built near the Perth Road because of its accessibility to the road. In 1855 the first structure was demolished and replaced by a second school . The old tin cap was retrieved from the first school and placed atop the cupola of the second structure.
In 1894 this second school burned and was replaced with a new frame building and the tin cap was placed atop of this new school.
Early teachers at the original school were Jonathon Lyman and Miss Sarah Booth.
One of the first teachers at the second school was Mr. Bell, then Miss Jennie Smith, of Fairfield, who taught for several years. Later Mr. Morrison, who was described as having one arm, yet quite capable of wielding an oak rod with which he dealt out school justice to the unruly.
Other teachers were Mrs. Shepherd, Mrs. Fred Fulford and Miss Fannie Connor. Then Rev. W.A. McKenzie who was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Brockville for many years, taught at Tincap. He lived in Morristown, N.Y. and commuted daily by boat and foot to reach the school. After rowing across the St. Lawrence he would walk through Brockville and up the Perth Road five miles to reach the school. History doesn’t record what time he had to get up in order to maake the journey on time to open the school. In winter he is reported to walk across the ice to make this trip.
Then Miss Anna Hutcheson of Brockville, Mr. James D. Truesdell and then Miss Martha Maley, who later married Mr. Truesdell. Miss Eliza Fair, Miss Chipman Miss Moore. Later Mrs.J.D.Truesdell again taught at the school and was the teacher when the school burned around 1894.
During this time classes were held in the stone house owned by Mr. M. O’Donnell until the new frame building was ready for classes.
The new frame school was equipped with a Tin Cap and a bell to keep the community linked to the original name. The first teacher in the new school was Miss Susie Hanna of Lyn and some of the pupils then attending were: Newton, Vida and Laura Young; Edward, William and John O’Donnell; Kitty, Edward and Elva Charlton; Minnie Warren, Katie Rogers, Gertrude and Gordon Thompson, Mary Bolger, Edwin Parker; Frank, Eva and Fannie Darling, and Flora Johnston. School records state that when this new frame school was being built, a carpender named Downey was killed in a fall from the roof.
Afterwards Mr. Albert Baker taught for one term. Then Miss Mabel Grant taught for five years. Among others who taught later were: Lena Beale, Rose Bresie, Stella Beale, Margaret Carr, Anna Anglin, Winnie Wilson, Anna Elliott, Violet Elliott, Vera Armstrong, Lela Wilson, Katherine Heffernan, Margaret Clow, Laura Dudley, Hazel Plunkett and Florence Ware.
School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives)
Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports:
1850: Stone building, constructed in 1844, condition: Good
1854: Frame building first opened in 1800
Front Row: Wilbert Lang, Mary Davidson, Elva Charlton, Emma Clow; Clemma Clow
Back Row: James Thompson, Allen Davidson, Eva Jenton, (in door) Lottie Young and Margaret Carr (Teacher)
Side of Bldg: Jessie Davidson and Eva Davidson (twins)