St. Peter’s and the Old Protestant Cemetery, Brockville
Concession: 1; Lot: 19/20; Location Address: Hwy 2, west of Brockville; Alternate Cemetery Name: Old Protestant Cemetery – Brockville Cemetery Board* GPS: 44.569994, -75.724892
This cemetery has been owned and operated by the City of Brockville since 1860, when fourteen acres of land on the western outskirts of the town were purchased from the Grant Family.
The land south of the main road had been granted by the Crown to Sgt. Allan Grant U.E.L in 1798. The newly acquired land was divided into three sections for use by the Anglican Church, Other Protestant Churches and the Roman Catholic Church. The early graves in this cemetery were moved here when old church cemeteries which originally existed in the town Brockville, were closed.
James Morrow Walsh (May 22, 1840 to July 25, 1905) was a North West Mounted Police Officer and Commissioner of the Yukon Territory.
Born in Prescott, Ontario, James Walsh was one of the original officers of the NWMP. Superintendent Walsh was assigned in 1875 to establish a post in the Cypress Hills in what is now Saskatchewan. He named it Fort Walsh after himself. The location of the post was determined by the Cypress Hills Massacre in 1873, an atrocity stemming from the illegal American whiskey trade.
Walsh’s original role was to shut down this trade, but in June 1876 his position grew in importance when several thousand Sioux Indians crossed the border into Canada, taking refuge there after the Battle of Little Big Horn. They settled near the Wood Mountain post in present day Saskatchewan.
Walsh developed a strong friendship with the famous Sioux leader Sitting Bull and successfully kept peace in the region. By the summer of 1877, Walsh although still in command of Fort Walsh, spent little time there. His headquarters became the Wood Mountain Post, among Sitting Bull and 5,000 Sioux. During this time, Walsh became famous in the American press as “Sitting Bull’s Boss”. In reality, Walsh was unable to fulfil his orders to convince Sitting Bull to return to the U.S. The Canadian Government decided that Walsh’s friendship with Sitting Bull was an obstacle to the Sioux’s return and in 1880 Walsh was transferred to Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan. Soon after, he took health leave and returned to Ontario. He reluctantly resigned his commission three years later.
In August 1897, during the height of the Klondike Gold Rush, Walsh was appointed Commissioner of the newly created Yukon Territory. He resigned soon after in 1898. He died in Brockville, Ontario in 1905. (Wikipeda)
Lt. Douglas A. Bogue
Kincaid Family Memorial
The Malloch Cairn
This dry stone pyramid was erected about 1896 by Dr. Archie Malloch in memory of his family. It has stood here for a long time causing many people to wonder about its history. The original mason responsible for its erection is said to be Archibald Henry Davidson. The Scottish stone work was put up without mortar. It was in a state of deterioration in 1989 when the Cemetery Board undertook to have it rebuilt. The masons who did the work at that time were Sid De Schiffart and Gerry Viekamp.
Two sisters, Sophie age 12 and Emily age 18, daughters of the Rev. Joseph Hugill, drowned whilst bathing- July 30, 1879.