Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School

(School Section No. 10)

Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was periodically closed and reopened until its permanent closure in the 1940’s. At the time of its closure it was converted into a private residence. Additionally at Bellamy’s Mill was a Roman Catholic separate school, known as R.C. #10. (Wikipedia)

Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975”

School Section Number 10 was the area which encompassed the Bellamy’s Mills area of Kitley. This section was also combined with Bastard School Section Number 18. Two schools were included in this section: Mahon’s SS #10, and R.C. #10, the latter being a separate school. The school is found on lot 20 of concession 6.

The first school at Mahon’s, which was north of Bellamy’s Mills, was across the corner from the later one. It was believed to have been built in 1836. This was a log building which was destroyed by fire in 1851. It was 20 feet by 20 feet and was reported to be in good condition. At the time it was in operation, the local superintendent stated, “I am happy to state that in the township education is injoying a considerable share of attention and that in no fewer than eight schools the free school system has been adopted, and that in various sections the necessary arrangements for more commodious school houses are being made.”

In 1851 fire motivated the construction of a new edifice in 1853 at the cost of 36£. The site was moved to where the present building now stands. In 1856, 10 percent of the people in this area were reported to be illiterate, that is, those who could go to this school.

For a period of between 1912 and 1924, Mahon’s School was closed. It reopened in 1924 and remained open until 1943, at which time it was permanently closed. The last teachers at this school in 1943 were: Miss Joynt, Miss Connolly, Miss Nixon, Miss Cavanaugh, Miss Hutcheson aand Mrs. Dack.


Mahon’s School from “Kitley 1795-1975”