Sectional School No. 27
(Rear of Young SS # 11)
There was a school in Glossville called “Hawke’s School. The school was so named because there were two group of Hawke’s children who attended the school in its early years. One Hawke farm was located north of the school the other farm to the south of the school. The school was sandwiched between the two farm families and filled with Hawke children. It was here that Glossville children were educated. The community sent its children to the old brick school long after people stopped using the name Glossville. After Hawke’s closed the children were bussed to Frankville or to Addison. Land for the school was donated to the area school board in 1857 by John Hawke, and it is probable that the stone building was erected within the following three years. Hawke’s School closed in 1962. The school was located at the junction of Hwy 29 and the Lake Eloida Road.
School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives)
Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports:
1850: no report
1854: first opened in 1830
The following information was extracted from the motion papers of the Elizabethtown Council 1855-1873:
that $36 dollars of Clergy money be divided amongst the School Sections of this Township in the following manner, namely Sections No 1 $10, No 12 $5, No 26 $9, No 27 $9.31 cents, No 28 $5, No 29 $2, No 30 $5, No 31 $6 bring union section all the full Sections will leave the sum of $13.11 cents each and the Clerk ? the sum to be paid to the Trustees of each School Section- 1873
We have no pictures or any other information regarding this school if anyone has any photos or information we would appreciate hearing from you.
 Lyn Museum Archives
The Athen’s Reporter from Jan 31, 1889 to Dec 31, 1889
Hawk’s School March 18th-, 1889
Last Friday evening will be long remembered by the citizens of Hawk’s and surrounding country, who were offered the pleasure of attending a Scott Act lecture in the School house. The Addison choir was in attendance and is second to none in the Province of Ontario. They sang some beautiful pieces, which were well appreciated by the hearers. The next best thing was some music furnished by William Wiltse on the violin and his brother on the organ. One favourite tune with the audience was “Climbing up the Golden Stairs” and this Willie got considerably bungled up. Practice Willie, practice. The most excellent thing was an address delivered by Rev. Mr. Haylock. The reverend gentleman talked very plain and interesting. Miss. Hawks, Mr. Fields and Miss. Lovern favored us with some recitations and readings, which were well appreciated by all resent. All went home, happy and contented, feeling much wiser than they went.