Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School

School Section No. 2

(School Section #2- Elmsley Township)


School location on map of 1861-62 (photo #1)

Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map)

In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane.

A new stone building was constructed in 1875 (or 1887), replacing an older school further down the road which was subject to arson, possibly committed by a pupil. The schoolhouse was used after hours as the community church, as well as a meeting hall. Well into the 1900s, the building was used by the Shane’s Women’s Institute.

Shane’s Corners was a small settlement located along Highway 29 near what was the First Concession of Kitley. Shane’s Corners was settled by a man named Lawrence Shane and his wife; Mrs. Shane kept a private school here at one time. The settlement consisted of a few homesteads and very few businesses. [2]

The settlement was large enough that it was able to become its own school section in the late nineteenth century. The school was known as S.S. #2 Shane’s School, and at the time was located along the boundary of Kitley and South Elmsley townships. [2]

Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area.

The old Shane’s Road running west from Shane’s Corners on No.29 highway forms the boundary between South Elmsley and Kitley.

Known as the Town Line, the road was a natural spot for school houses. Thus at least three were set up along its route, and because education knows no boundaries, these schools became union, uniting South Elmsley and Kitley pupils.

Shane’s School, was destroyed by a fire set by vandals stood on the knoll that marks the junction of Shane’s Road and No.29 Highway, was a union school with around 15 South Elmsley children attending it in 1840, though it was located in Kitley.

Halfway between Shane’s Corners and Blanchard’s Hill, another public school, also union existed in the 1840’s. It has since vanished and no historian today knows where it stood.

[2] Recorder and Times]

Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975”

Miss Mary Goodfellow taught at the stone school in 1905 and 1906. During her teaching Dr. Kinney was the inspector. She remembered him well as he always had the same joke: “Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?” When she returned in 1910, a Mr. Johnson was the inspector. It is interesting to note that Miss Goodfellow’s mother taught in the present school or one on the same site. Miss Lillian Taylor was also one of the earlier teachers. At that time Wilfred Pattemore taught here. Mr. Oaks was the inspector and Fred Hewitt was trustee for many years. Other trustees who served with him were Alex Findlay, Mervin Joint, Harvey Johnston, Pete Simpson, Charlie Botham and Archie Hewitt.



Shane’s School Recorder and Times Photo (photo #2)


1926 Class: Front Row L-R: Roy Simpson, Helen O’Donaghue, Irvin Hughes, Verna Hewitt, Bill Goodwin, John O’Donaghue, Verna Simpson, Anna Mae Hewitt. Middle Row: Georgina Best. Jean Best, Violet Connell, Minnie Hewitt, Glenna Hewitt, Lena Best, Grant Sheridan. Back Row: Borden Sheridan, Jim Findlay, Charlie Dorman, Lloyd Hewitt, Irvin Cornell, Hilliard Johnston – Recorder and Times Photo (photo #3)