Providence Chapel

Providence Chapel at Crystal

Methodists worshipped anywhere they could find shelter, a barn being used on more than one occasion but in 1834, the congregation built a log chapel on the eastern edge of Kitley Township in the community known as Crystal and the church subsequently bore the name “Providence Chapel”.

The church was used until church union in 1935 when it was sold to a local resident who in turn donated it in 1960 to Upper Canada Village.

In October 2016, Upper Canada Village allowed us access to the chapel for photographs. They told us that the only original feature on the inside of the building is the pulpit and railing. The pews were added but reflected the pews in use at the time.


Front Door of the Providence Chapel (2016)
Side View Providence Chapel at Upper Canada Village, October 2016
Rear view of Providence Chapel
Providence Chapel October 2016
Side View of the Providence Chapel October 2016








Inside the Providence Chapel
Looking to the front of the Chapel and the original pulpit
The original pulpit
Looking from the pulpit to the back of the chapel
Interior of the Providence Chapel at Upper Canada Village October 2016