Pte. Albert Ellery Tallman

Albert Ellery Tallman, Pte No 859031 Albert was born in Toledo, Ontario on February 15th, 1885. His proud parents were Nelson Tallman (1852-1922) and Frances Ann nee Gorman (1854-1920). He was a member of a large family consisting of eight brothers and sisters. There is little we know about his youth or the rest of […]

The Bissell Carpet Sweeper

Another look inside the museum at our collection- The Bissell Carpet Sweeper History of the Bissell Carpet Sweeper A Simple Start: Spilled Sawdust…Anna and Melville’s Crockery Shop Like a lot of well intentioned people who plan on having a relaxing Saturday, we didn’t really mean to start cleaning—it just happened. In 1876, Melville R. Bissell […]

Pte. Frederick William Gray

Frederick William Gray # 454847 (Pte.) Frederick William Gray was born in Lyn on September 6th 1895. He was the second child born to his parents John Henry and Smiena (known as Mimmie) her maiden name was Graham. His parents were farmers and after attending high school at Brockville Collegite Institute, Frederick followed in their […]

Pte. Stanley Darling

Stanley Clarence Darling Stanley Clarence Darling was born on November 26th, 1894 in Lillies just north of the Village of Lyn. His mother was Fanny Darling and his father Wells. He was the oldest in a family of two boys and three girls. His brother Grant was born a year after him in 1895. We […]

Fire Insurance Maps

Goad Company Insurance Maps Charles Edward Goad (March 15, 1848 – June 10, 1910 ) was a noted cartographer and civil engineer. Goad is most noted for his insurance surveys of cities in Canada, Great Britain, and elsewhere. Fire insurance companies needed to know in detail the nature and size of buildings, width of streets, […]

Mallorytown Telephone Company

The Mallorytown Telephone Company was just one of hundreds small companies that dotted the rural landscape to serve local needs. It served both the Mallorytown and Lyn, Ontario phone requirements. The service connected with Bell Telephone at Mallorytown. In Lyn their exchange was located in the bottom floor of the Pergau Building on Main Street. […]

Soper’s Cemetery – 1838- 1886

Soper’s Cemetery, Lot 18, Concession 8, Old Kitley Township Note the cover photo above is of the Lyn Cemetery, we have no photos of the Soper Cemetery   List of grave sites as per the Brockville Genealogical Society   Last First Died Comments Aged/Born Jones Fredrick Soper Dorcas Dec 15, 1838 wife of Soper, Timothy […]

Jelly Farm Cemetery – 1876-1911

This is a small family cemetery that was for members of the Jelly Family. The cemetery is located on the intersection of County Rd 7 and the Atkins Lake Road. Photos from August 2016                   List of grave-sites as compiled by the Brockville Genealogical Society: Last First […]

Genealogical Archival Boxes

We have limited information on some families in our collection. Their names are listed below:     Museum’s Genealogical Archival Boxes Name Items Other names included Anderson, Alice deed of land 1937 Blake,Edna Baker, Arden News story 1985 Barton, Herbert Military Pass 1941 Berry, John Life Story Billings, Walter writtings Bissell, Sarah Mortgage 1902 Parker, […]

The Last Run of the B & W

Passing of the Farmer’s Friend A good and faithful servant retires to a well earned rest by Gertrude E. Wheeler (nee Forth) 1952 On August 30th, last year, the old B&W Railway of Leeds County, Ontario became only a memory — a fragment of Leeds County history. The engine whistled a mournful note of farewell […]

Avondale Farm – The Early Years

How many times have you driven along the Lyn Road, passed the large barns and the sign that reads “Avondale Farms”? Here is the story behind those barns and that sign. An article printed in the (Brockville) “Recorder and Times” appeared on Friday, July 23, 1909…… “Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Hardy, were hosts of a […]

Tannning Hides at Coleman’s Corners

The Tanning Business at Coleman’s Corners – March 7, 1850-  As written in the Brockville Recorder of 1850 The editor had been out to Coleman’s Corners, now known as Lyn, and in the issue of this date gives his impressions of the place as follows:– “This place, to appearance, has little to attract the attention […]

St. James of Jerusalem at Jellyby

The Church of Ian by Tom Van Dusen Anybody shopping for Russel’s Ian Cunningham this Christmas has their work cut out topping what he gifted himself this year. Ian bought himself a church, not a table top porcelain church to place in a Christmas village. No Ian bought a full size stand alone church out […]

Toledo – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley Township

Toledo had three log schools in and around the immediate area. These schools were closed with the erection of a new stone school in the Village by the late 1840’s. This structure served the area until the 1870’s. In 1876, Mr. Robert Parker built a two room brick schoolhouse on King Street. Teachers of the […]

Dynamite for Santa in the One Room School Christmas Concert

Christmas is a magical time, it was even more so when you attended a one room schoolhouse. It was a time before mass media and commercialism, a simpler time when our imaginations were the most important part of our growing up. We are fortunate to be able to share a story of those days written […]

Memories from a One Room School House

Story One Our little school (Yonge Mills) had a few memories besides education that stands out in my mind. At Christmas time before school closed our teacher and pupils held a Christmas Concert. For weeks we practised our part then one school afternoon we held the concert. A couple of the older boys would go […]

Seelee’s Corners- A forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

History Of Seeley’s Corners (author unknown written in 1945) The location known as Seeley’s is part of Lot 32 in the Fourth Concession of Elizabethtown. From time to time this lot has been subdivided, there being several small parcels of land around the corner known as Seeley’s Corner. The total number of conveyances at the […]

Frozen Charlotte Doll

Frozen Charlotte Dolls Frozen Charlotte is a name used to describe a specific form of China Doll made from c. 1850 to c. 1920. The dolls had substantial popularity during the Victorian Era. The name of the doll originates from the American Folk Ballad, Fair Charlotte, based on the poem “A Corpse Going to a […]

Going to High School in the 1920’s

How many of you remember …? by Bessie B. Billings Do the 1920’s sound too remote for reminiscences called forth by B.C.I.’s 50th Celebrations We hope not, for many boys and girls who attended the old school, burned down in 1929, are now the white haired men and women who share the pleasures of the […]

The Latimer Collection (Part 4) – The Kodak Generation

  The Kodak Generation In 1900, George Eastman took mass-market photography one step further with the introduction of the Kodak Brownie, a simple and very inexpensive box camera that introduced the concept of the snapshot. The Brownie was extremely popular and various models remained on sale until the 1960s. Thanks to Kodak, photography became available […]

The Latimer Collection (Part 3) – Cabinet Cards and Early 1900’s Gelatin-Silver Prints

The Latimer Collection contains many old family photographs. In this section we will deal with the various Cabinet Cards and Early 1900’s Gelatin-Silver Prints in the collection.   Surnames found in the photographs are: Borthwick; Boyd; Coward; Davenport; Davis; Dobbs; Gilroy; Halliday; Hicks; Hicky; Latimer; Percival; Phelps; Scott; Simpson; Slack; Talpin and Wright   Cabinet […]

The Latimer Collection (part 2)- Old Photographs

The Latimer Collection contains many old family photographs all taken in different photography mediums. Most of the photographs have names, but unfortunately some do not. We have posted all of them in hopes that someone will be able to identify them. Every photograph will have some connection to the Latimer Family. We have been able […]

The Latimer Family (part 1)

The Latimer / Nyland Family have been kind enough to donate many of the photos from which we have been able to give you a glimpse into their life and past family history. Unfortunately the names of some people have been lost to history. Family Portrait taken in December 1942 This photo shows the four […]

Mott’s General Store, Main Street, Lyn

The Credit Ledger from Blake E. Mott’s General Store, Lyn, Ontario (Author unknown) (Note: the photo is not of Mott’s Store, unfortunately no photos exist of his store) Blake Mott and his wife Edith were the proprietors of a General Store in Lyn from about 1921 to 1931. Blake rented the ground floor of the building […]

Christ United Church, Lyn

Christ Church Lyn…Now The United Church, by Walter K. Billings The Presbyterians of the Lyn district held their first service in the ball-room of the Brownton Hotel. It was conducted by the Rev. William Smart, who was one of the pioneers of religion. A Sunday school was organized by Mr. Smart and Adiel Sherwood, who […]

Christ United Church, Lyn

Now The United Church by Walter Billings The Presbyterians of the Lyn district held their first service in the ball-room of the Brownton Hotel. It was conducted by the Rev. William Smart, who was one of the pioneers of religion. A Sunday school was organized by Mr. Smart and Adiel Sherwood, who was sheriff of […]

The General Store in Lyn

The General Store in Lyn was located at 25 Main Street West and was first owned by A. T. Trickey. It was a drug store and also a general merchandise store. A.T. Trickey ran it until approximately 1890 when it was purchased by Mr. Gardiner. Mr. Gardiner did not have a druggist pharmacy license so […]

Postcards for Special Holidays

Postcards were a chance for people to send “best wishes” for special occasions to their family and friends, or just to keep in touch. The postage on these cards was cheaper than a letter and the cost of the card less than that of an actual birthday or Christmas card as we know them today. […]

Post Cards from Niagara Falls, Ontario

Postcards were a chance for those travelling to send back home a glimpse of what they were seeing. Postcards give us a very accurate snapshot of the cities, buildings and people of that time, they give us a look into what daily life was like. For those who stayed home, a postcard was there window […]

Postcards from Canada

Postcards were a chance for those travelling to send back home a glimpse of what they were seeing. Postcards give us a very accurate snapshot of the cities, buildings and people of that time, they give us a look into what daily life was like. For those who stayed home, a postcard was there window […]

Toledo – News from the Village – 1924 to 1930

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years – 1924 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Toledo – Nov 15th, 1924 Mr. and Mrs. Duncan McClure were Perth visitors on Friday, the 7th inst. Misses Laura and Dorothy McClure of […]

Tin Cap – News from the Village – 1925-1926

  The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years – 1925 to 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Tin Cap – Feb 27th, 1925 Mrs. Leonard Elliott, Brockville, spent a few days last week visiting her aunt, Mrs. George Boyd. Fred […]

Redan – News from the Village – 1926

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the year – 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Redan , Jan 25th, 1926 Miss Laura Loucks spent the week-end at home in Smiths Falls. Mrs. Mildred Pritchard has returned after having visited relatives in […]

Lillies – News from the Village – 1927

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1927. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Lillies, April 16th , 1927 Albert Gardiner is a patient at the General hospital. All are hoping to see him home soon. Morton Charlton’s auction sale was […]

Jasper – News from the Village – 1926

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Jasper. April 12, 1926 School re-opened o Monday. Mrs. Carroll Livingston and daughter Doreen, of Frankville, were guests last week of Mrs. O. Burridge. Mrs. Mort Davis, […]

Lehigh Corners – A Hamlet in Kitley

Lehigh Corners  (Kilborn Corners) This community is situated on the southern fringe of Frankville, straddling No.29 Highway. In the late 1800’s a toll gate was operated here on the old Victoria Macadamized road running between Brockville and Smith’s Falls. The original settler was Gideon Leehy, somewhere around 1800. The spelling of the family name was […]

Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire Department

“Edna’s Scrapbook” is a paperback book written by Edna B. Chant and was published in 1998. Edna Chant was a reported with the “Athens Reporter” for 23 years and she is the author of four books. Her book, which is made up of news clippings from various sources, from which we have taken excerpts, gives […]

Lehigh Cemetery – 1831- present

Lehigh Cemetery – 1831 to present Concession 10, Lot 22, Twp of Elizabethtown Kitley*, GPS: 44.707355, -75.952617- Hwy 29 to Line Road 9 turn west south side of road. One mile south of Frankville on the Leigh Cemetery Road. (all photos taken November 2016)- 318 Line Road 9 A Brief History of Lehigh Cemetery Lot […]

Soper’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Soper’s School (Otterman’s School)  School Section No. 13   Concession #9, Lot 12, built 1850 (see map) present address 661 Kitley Line 8 The origins of the original Soper School have been lost in the sands of time. It was probably a log cabin school and existed on the site as early as 1820. This […]

Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School School Section No. 2 (School Section #2- Elmsley Township)   Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map) In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane. A new stone building was constructed in 1875 (or 1887), replacing an older school further down the road […]

Rathwell’s School (Jasper) – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rathwell’s School (Jasper School) School Section #22  (Wolford School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 4 (see map) After 1858 the school that was Wolford  SS#22 became Rathwell’s School, northeast corner of County Road 16 and Corkoran Road. (Note: on the 1862-62 map there was no school at this location, the closest school we […]

Newbliss School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Newbliss School (School Section No. 5)   Concession #4, Lot 13, built late 1830’s (see map) present address 655 County Rd 29 Newbliss village had a log school which was replaced in 1874 by a stone structure. Newbliss School was phased out of existence in 1961 with the pupils being transferred to Jasper. Newbliss had […]

Mitchell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mitchell School (School Section No. 16)   Concession #8, Lot 23, built late 1840’s (see map “This school was a Union School and served part of Bastard Township where it was known as School Section #17. According to an April 19th, 1849 Brockville Recorder, 65 pounds was granted to build a schoolhouse for this section. […]

Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School (School Section No. 10) Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was […]

Lehigh’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lehigh’s School (Leehy’s School) School Section #18   Concession #9, Lot 22 (see map) Gideon Leehy believed in educating the youngsters, so he put up a log school on the south side of Kitley’s Ninth Concession Road. The school lasted until 1851, when it burned down. By this time a number of other families had […]

Kinch St. School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Kinch St. School  (School Section No. 8)   Concession #6, Lot 9, built 1840’s (see map) present address 735 Kitley Line 5 The first log school house here was built in the early 1840’s on the west corner of the farm of pioneer Isaac Foster. Known as S.S. #8, the log school burned down a […]

Judgeville School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Judgeville School  (School Section No. 7)   Concession #4, Lot 26, built prior to 1870 (see map   Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975” Judgeville School, S.S. No. 7, contained a public school and a separate school. The separate school goes back prior to the 1870’s, ad in 1872, Mr. James Dempsey was […]

Hutton’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Hutton’s School  (School Section No. 1)   Concession #1, Lot 7, built late 1870’s (see map) Present address is 852 Kitley Line 7   Little to nothing is known about this school. “It is presumed that the present stone structure was erected in the late 1870’s or sometime thereafter. It is also safe to presume […]

Crystal School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Crystal School  (School Section No. 12)   Concession #7, Lot 6, built 1875 (see map) George Hornick built the area’s first school. The school was located in Lot 6 of the 7th Concession. The exact date of the construction is unknown but it was listed in the 1861 census. It was a school which held […]

Coad’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Coad’s School Originally called Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century (see map) presentaddress502KitleyLine4   The former Coad’s school, a stone building, was erected in 1875, replacing the earlier log cabin school. The school had originally been named for the Dack Family, but adopted the name of […]

Blanchard’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Blanchard’s School (School Section No. 4) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834  (see map) present address 47Kitley/SouthElmssleyTwpRoad Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area. Further down the Town Line Road, Blanchard’s School suffered reverses and was closed in 1956. Pupils from Blanchard’s were then transferred […]

Glen Buell – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glen Buell  (Hayes Corners) This quiet hamlet on Highway 29, nine miles north of Brockville has a long and chequered history dating back to 1787. Back then it was wilderness dotted by farms and homesteads of the early settlers. It is located where Hwy 29 crosses the Seventh Concession of Elizabethtown,   Originally known as […]

Forthton – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Forthton (Unionville) John Kilborn and his wife Elizabeth Baldwin established a store at Unionville about 1816. He was also given a government post assisting settlement of immigrants. Many of the early residents of the Perth area passed through his hands. The settlers travelled overland by wagon and in some cases had to cut their own […]

Stewart’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Stewart’s School (School Section #1 – Elizabethtown) (School Section #16 – Augusta)   Adiel Sherwood inherited Lots 1 & 2 on the death of his father in 1826, and four years later sold Lot 1 to Henry Bradfield, a stone mason. Bradfield who lived here for 50 years also donated land for a school in […]

Row’s Corners – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Row’s Corners (School Section # 4)   This is all the information we have on this school. If anyone as any additional information or photos on this school we would appreciate hearing from you.       School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already […]

Rock Springs – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Rock Springs School (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown) (School Section # 19 – Kitley)   This is all the information we have on this school If anyone has inforation or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have […]

Read’s School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Read’s School (School Section 2- Elizabethtown) (School Section 30 – Augusta)   Read’s Public School, a log structure, was built in 1831 and served the community of Bethel for nearly 50 years until a stone building was erected in 1880 on the same plot of land. The land had originally been donated by UEL Pioneer […]

Moore’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Moore’s School (School Section #21)     We have no additional information about this school. If anyone has any information or photos, we would appreciate hearing from you.     School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents […]

Mead’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Mead’s Sectional School No. 14 We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you. School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Frame Building, […]

Maud’s – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Maud’s School (School Section No. 18)   We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: […]

Manhard’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Manhards School (School Section # 13) We have no information on this school. If anyone has any informaion or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Stone […]

Jellby – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Jellby School (School Section # 22)   We have no information about this school, if anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: […]

Providence Chapel

Providence Chapel at Crystal Methodists worshipped anywhere they could find shelter, a barn being used on more than one occasion but in 1834, the congregation built a log chapel on the eastern edge of Kitley Township in the community known as Crystal and the church subsequently bore the name “Providence Chapel”. The church was used […]

Cornell / Rowsome Place Cemetery

Rowsome Place Cemetery, also Cornell Cemetery Concession 10, Lot 8, Cty Rd #7 – GPS- 44.747091, -75.868586                   List of grave sites as per the Brockville Genealogical Society   Last First Died Comments Aged/Born Cornell Cecelia C. Sep 1, 1863 Age 7 yrs, 11 mos, 2 d’s […]

Horton Cemetery

Horton Cemetery 6539 New Dublin Rd, cor 7th Concession, in field On Private Land, Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials – Twp of Elizabethtown*  GPS- 44.667882, -75.795032     Frederick Moore Sr. 1770-1848 Eliza Bolton 1773-1815 NCO Irish Yoeman Calvary Q.M. Sgt. War 1812 Ensign 1st Leeds Militia       William Moore 1740-1820 Married in Dublin c1766 […]

Scott’s Farm Cemetery (Campbell Cemetery)

Scott’s Cemetery – Campbell Cemetery Concession 10, Lot 4, Cty Rd 7 to Atkins Lake Rd before the county line (Alternate names: Mrs. Scott’sFarm, Scott’s Farm Cemetery)                   List of Graves:  Inserted “?” if not legible   JELLY, William John Died May 16, 1909 age 46 yrs. […]

Sanford / Loverin Burying Ground

Sanford / Loverin Burying Ground Concession 9, Lot 26-27), Location: West of Greenbush, 9330 Addison Greenbush Rd, north side- Twp of Elizabethtown* GPS not available   Graves:   David Morton Sanford Died June 2, 1912 Aged 53 yrs. Wealtha Hurlbert Wife of David Morton Died June 21, 1893 Aged 34 8 mos. 6 days Margaret […]

White’s Corners – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

White’s Corners (Whitehurst and Orchard Valley)   This forgotten community lies just east of Jellby, on the Jellby – North Augusta Road. The area is reached via the Greenbush Road to Greenbush, Rocksprings Road through its junction with the Jellby Road. Landmarks to look for are John Jelly’s old homestead and ¾ of a mile […]

Shiloh – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Shiloh  (Bell’s Crossing) The hamlet of Shiloh is located at the intersection of Shiloh Road and the road to Rocksprings. The old Bolton School once stool on the property of Henry White. The school once stood near the Bolton Cemetery on Lot 5 of the Tenth Concession in Elizabethtown. A Methodist church was built here […]

Bell’s Crossing – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bell’s Crossing (Shiloh, Whitehurst and White’s Corners)   “What was the neighbourhood at Bell’s Crossing called before the railway was put through there – was it Whitehurst? The name Whitehurst was simply the name of the post office, and as far as I can remember there was no post office there before the railway (Brockville […]

Kerr Family Cemetery

Kerr Family Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 25, Location: East side of County Road 7, just north of Greenbush, behind #9472 Cty Rd. 7, – Twp of Elizabethtown* – GPS- 44.701591, 75.858257     List of Graves:    Inserted “?” if not legible   KERR, Susan (daughter of George & Eleanor) – died February 5, 1863 […]

Hanton Cemetery

Hanton Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 14, 565 Kitley Line 8, Unregistered cemetery, east of Frankville on Kitley Line 8 Rd, on private property GPS: 44.742420, -75.926664   Inserted a ‘?’ if not legible Tombstones Names:   MULVAUGH, Mary wife of Alonzo Soper Died Jan. 9, 1859 age 51 yrs. MULVAUGH, William Sept. 20, 1819 – […]