Jasper – A Hamlet in Kitley

Jasper   ( Irish Creek, Olmsted’s Mills) Jasper lies in the North East section of Kitley along the boundary with Wolford Township, with Irish Creek running through the village. Joseph Haskins, the first miler in these parts, settled on the future site of Jasper in 1802. At that time, Irish Lake was a muddy swamp […]

Blanchard’s Hill – A Forgotten Hamlet in Kitley

Blanchard’s Hill Blanchard’s Hill is reached by two roads, off of No.15 and off of No.29 highways. A large sign on No.15 Hwy three miles southwest of Lombardy proclaims “Blanchard’s Hill Road”. The road takes off from No.15 on an abandoned section of pavement, and then climbs the hill towards the old Blanchard Homestead. From […]

Lehigh Cemetery – 1831- present

Lehigh Cemetery – 1831 to present Concession 10, Lot 22, Twp of Elizabethtown Kitley*, GPS: 44.707355, -75.952617- Hwy 29 to Line Road 9 turn west south side of road. One mile south of Frankville on the Leigh Cemetery Road. (all photos taken November 2016)- 318 Line Road 9 A Brief History of Lehigh Cemetery Lot […]

Rock Springs School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rock Springs School (School Section # 19 – Kitley) (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown)   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: no report 1854: no report   If anyone has any information on this […]

Redan School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Redan School (School Section #20 – Kitley) (School Section # 26 – Elizabethtown)   Redan was settled in the years 1840-1860 by Irish Immigrants. The original inhabitants were the Youngs, the Marshalls, Burnetts, Pritchards, Motts, Richards and Wilsons. The old Richardson homestead here was originally part of a clergy reserve. In 1854 the government released […]