Toledo – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley Township

Toledo had three log schools in and around the immediate area. These schools were closed with the erection of a new stone school in the Village by the late 1840’s. This structure served the area until the 1870’s. In 1876, Mr. Robert Parker built a two room brick schoolhouse on King Street. Teachers of the […]

Major William Read, United Empire Loyalists – Our People, Our Heritage

Major William Read, United Empire Loyalists and settler in Kitley Township Major William Read came to America from his native Ireland as a young man and settled on Bison Creek in the Parish of St. George, Queensboro Twp, Province of Georgia. The Reads, Lyles and Russells all had come from Ulster in the northeast part […]

Kitley Agricultural Society

Kitley Agricultural Society The annual meeting of this society was held at the Edger’s House, Frankville, on Thursday last. N.H. Beecher, chairman; W.D. Livingston, secretary. The treasure’s report read as follows: Receipts from all sources, including balance from last report, $811.56; expenditures, $500.78; leaving a balance on hand of $310.78. The following officers were elected: […]

Lehigh Corners – A Hamlet in Kitley

Lehigh Corners  (Kilborn Corners) This community is situated on the southern fringe of Frankville, straddling No.29 Highway. In the late 1800’s a toll gate was operated here on the old Victoria Macadamized road running between Brockville and Smith’s Falls. The original settler was Gideon Leehy, somewhere around 1800. The spelling of the family name was […]

Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School School Section No. 2 (School Section #2- Elmsley Township)   Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map) In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane. A new stone building was constructed in 1875, replacing an older school further down the road which was […]

Scott’s Farm Cemetery (Campbell Cemetery)

Scott’s Cemetery – Campbell Cemetery Concession 10, Lot 4, Cty Rd 7 to Atkins Lake Rd before the county line (Alternate names: Mrs. Scott’sFarm, Scott’s Farm Cemetery)                   List of Graves:  Inserted “?” if not legible   JELLY, William John Died May 16, 1909 age 46 yrs. […]