Charlie Sanford Luckey – The Last Man Hung in Elizabethtown

The Luckey Murders There are several accounts that have been written about this tragic murder, but rather than quote from those accounts, we are providing you with transcripts from the newspapers that covered the incident. This way you will be getting the first hand account of how the events unfolded. The Irish Canadian, Thursday, October […]

Toledo – News from the Village – 1924 to 1930

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years – 1924 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Toledo – Nov 15th, 1924 Mr. and Mrs. Duncan McClure were Perth visitors on Friday, the 7th inst. Misses Laura and Dorothy McClure of […]

Mott’s Mills – News from the Village 1925

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the year – 1925. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Mott’s Mills – April 1925 Miss Violet Greenwood, a student of the Athens High School, was quietly married Tuesday morning at the Anglican church parsonage in […]

Jasper – News from the Village – 1926

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Jasper. April 12, 1926 School re-opened o Monday. Mrs. Carroll Livingston and daughter Doreen, of Frankville, were guests last week of Mrs. O. Burridge. Mrs. Mort Davis, […]

Frankville – News from the Village 1925-1930

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1925 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Frankville- Feb 26, 1925 Kitley Mourns the Loss of William Henry Montgomery. Was a  School Teacher after leaving Athens High School The death occurred at […]

Rathwell’s School (Jasper) – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rathwell’s School (Jasper School) School Section #22  (Wolford School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 4 (see map) After 1858 the school that was Wolford  SS#22 became Rathwell’s School, northeast corner of County Road 16 and Corkoran Road. (Note: on the 1862-62 map there was no school at this location, the closest school we […]

Newbliss School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Newbliss School (School Section No. 5)   Concession #4, Lot 13, built late 1830’s (see map) Newbliss village had a log school which was replaced in 1874 by a stone structure. Newbliss School was phased out of existence in 1961 with the pupils being transferred to Jasper. Newbliss had two schoolhouses to serve the community, […]

Mott’s Mills – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mott’s Mills School  (School Section No. 3)   Concession #3, Lot 21, built c1833 (see map) Generations of Mott’s Mills children were educated at the community’s old one room school, which closed around 1950. The original log school was built on Lot 21 of the 3rd Concession of Kitley. It was succeed by a frame […]

Mitchell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mitchell School (School Section No. 16)   Concession #8, Lot 23, built late 1840’s (see map “This school was a Union School and served part of Bastard Township where it was known as School Section #17. According to an April 19th, 1849 Brockville Recorder, 65 pounds was granted to build a schoolhouse for this section. […]

Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School (School Section No. 10) Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was […]

Lehigh’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lehigh’s School (Leehy’s School) School Section #18   Concession #9, Lot 22 (see map) Gideon Leehy believed in educating the youngsters, so he put up a log school on the south side of Kitley’s Ninth Concession Road. The school lasted until 1851, when it burned down. By this time a number of other families had […]

Kinch St. School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Kinch St. School  (School Section No. 8)   Concession #6, Lot 9, built 1840’s (see map) The first log school house here was built in the early 1840’s on the west corner of the farm of pioneer Isaac Foster. Known as S.S. #8, the log school burned down a few years after it was built. […]

Judgeville School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Judgeville School  (School Section No. 7)   Concession #4, Lot 26, built prior to 1870 (see map   Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975” Judgeville School, S.S. No. 7, contained a public school and a separate school. The separate school goes back prior to the 1870’s, ad in 1872, Mr. James Dempsey was […]

Hutton’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Hutton’s School  (School Section No. 1)   Concession #1, Lot 7, built late 1870’s (see map) Little to nothing is known about this school. “It is presumed that the present stone structure was erected in the late 1870’s or sometime thereafter. It is also safe to presume that an earlier school of log construction was […]

Frankville – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Frankville School We are not sure if the school S.S. 14 was the earliest school in the Frankville area. Frankville has a rather distinctive history as far as schools are concerned considering that it was the only centre in Kitley to have a grammar school which was the equivalent of a present day high school. […]

Crystal School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Crystal School  (School Section No. 12)   Concession #7, Lot 6, built 1875 (see map) George Hornick built the area’s first school. The school was located in Lot 6 of the 7th Concession. The exact date of the construction is unknown but it was listed in the 1861 census. It was a school which held […]

Coad’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Coad’s School Originally called Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century (see map)   The former Coad’s school, a stone building, was erected in 1875, replacing the earlier log cabin school. The school had originally been named for the Dack Family, but adopted the name of Coad […]

Blanchard’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Blanchard’s School (School Section No. 4) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834  (see map) Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area. Further down the Town Line Road, Blanchard’s School suffered reverses and was closed in 1956. Pupils from Blanchard’s were then transferred to Mott’s Mills. […]

Providence Chapel

Providence Chapel at Crystal Methodists worshipped anywhere they could find shelter, a barn being used on more than one occasion but in 1834, the congregation built a log chapel on the eastern edge of Kitley Township in the community known as Crystal and the church subsequently bore the name “Providence Chapel”. The church was used […]

Hanton Cemetery

Hanton Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 14, 565 Kitley Line 8, Unregistered cemetery, east of Frankville on Kitley Line 8 Rd, on private property GPS: 44.742420, -75.926664   Inserted a ‘?’ if not legible Tombstones Names:   MULVAUGH, Mary wife of Alonzo Soper Died Jan. 9, 1859 age 51 yrs. MULVAUGH, William Sept. 20, 1819 – […]

Louise Crummy McKinney – Our People, Our Heritage

Louise C. McKinney Louise Crummy McKinney was the first woman to be elected to a parliament seat in the British Empire. She accomplished the feat in 1917 in Alberta. Louise was the seventh child and second daughter of Richard Crummy and his wife the former Ester Empey. Richard Crummy was an immigrant from County Cavan, […]

St. Andrew’s Church Cemetery

St. Andrew’s United Church Cemetery, Toledo, Concession 6, Lot 23,St.Andrew’s United Cemetery Board*, GPS: 44.739357, -75.997335 The cemetery is located between the two churches in the heart of Toledo   St. Andrews United Church                     James Hudson d April 27 1884 and Margaret Hudson d Aug […]