Avondale Farm – The Early Years

How many times have you driven along the Lyn Road, passed the large barns and the sign that reads “Avondale Farms”? Here is the story behind those barns and that sign. An article printed in the (Brockville) “Recorder and Times” appeared on Friday, July 23, 1909…… “Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Hardy, were hosts of a […]

Tannning Hides at Coleman’s Corners

The Tanning Business at Coleman’s Corners – March 7, 1850-  As written in the Brockville Recorder of 1850 The editor had been out to Coleman’s Corners, now known as Lyn, and in the issue of this date gives his impressions of the place as follows:– “This place, to appearance, has little to attract the attention […]

Toledo – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley Township

Toledo had three log schools in and around the immediate area. These schools were closed with the erection of a new stone school in the Village by the late 1840’s. This structure served the area until the 1870’s. In 1876, Mr. Robert Parker built a two room brick schoolhouse on King Street. Teachers of the […]

Memories of my Grandfather, William Henry MacNish

A Granddaughter Remembers Her Grandfather – William Henry MacNish by Margaret MacNish “My grandfather William Henry MacNish, was over 6 feet tall and carried a full head of snow-white hair. Heavy shouldered, he walked with a slow and dignified shuffle about the farm and up the oval driveway to the stone house. In spring, summer […]

Dynamite for Santa in the One Room School Christmas Concert

Christmas is a magical time, it was even more so when you attended a one room schoolhouse. It was a time before mass media and commercialism, a simpler time when our imaginations were the most important part of our growing up. We are fortunate to be able to share a story of those days written […]

Corporal Andrew Salomnson World War I Veteran

Corporal Andrew Salomnson 1887-1934 The year was 1887 when Andrew Salomnson was born (Andres Salomonsson) in Kall, Kall County, Sweden. If you were to look on a map you would find that Kall is located in the middle of Sweden, a pretty little village on the side of a lake. He was born on Tuesday, […]

Lehigh Corners – A Hamlet in Kitley

Lehigh Corners  (Kilborn Corners) This community is situated on the southern fringe of Frankville, straddling No.29 Highway. In the late 1800’s a toll gate was operated here on the old Victoria Macadamized road running between Brockville and Smith’s Falls. The original settler was Gideon Leehy, somewhere around 1800. The spelling of the family name was […]

Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School School Section No. 2 (School Section #2- Elmsley Township)   Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map) In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane. A new stone building was constructed in 1875, replacing an older school further down the road which was […]

Rathwell’s School (Jasper) – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rathwell’s School (Jasper School) School Section #22  (Wolford School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 4 (see map) After 1858 the school that was Wolford  SS#22 became Rathwell’s School, northeast corner of County Road 16 and Corkoran Road. (Note: on the 1862-62 map there was no school at this location, the closest school we […]

Mitchell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mitchell School (School Section No. 16)   Concession #8, Lot 23, built late 1840’s (see map “This school was a Union School and served part of Bastard Township where it was known as School Section #17. According to an April 19th, 1849 Brockville Recorder, 65 pounds was granted to build a schoolhouse for this section. […]

Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School (School Section No. 10) Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was […]

Lehigh’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lehigh’s School (Leehy’s School) School Section #18   Concession #9, Lot 22 (see map) Gideon Leehy believed in educating the youngsters, so he put up a log school on the south side of Kitley’s Ninth Concession Road. The school lasted until 1851, when it burned down. By this time a number of other families had […]

Kinch St. School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Kinch St. School  (School Section No. 8)   Concession #6, Lot 9, built 1840’s (see map) The first log school house here was built in the early 1840’s on the west corner of the farm of pioneer Isaac Foster. Known as S.S. #8, the log school burned down a few years after it was built. […]

Judgeville School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Judgeville School  (School Section No. 7)   Concession #4, Lot 26, built prior to 1870 (see map   Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975” Judgeville School, S.S. No. 7, contained a public school and a separate school. The separate school goes back prior to the 1870’s, ad in 1872, Mr. James Dempsey was […]

Hutton’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Hutton’s School  (School Section No. 1)   Concession #1, Lot 7, built late 1870’s (see map) Little to nothing is known about this school. “It is presumed that the present stone structure was erected in the late 1870’s or sometime thereafter. It is also safe to presume that an earlier school of log construction was […]

Frankville – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Frankville School We are not sure if the school S.S. 14 was the earliest school in the Frankville area. Frankville has a rather distinctive history as far as schools are concerned considering that it was the only centre in Kitley to have a grammar school which was the equivalent of a present day high school. […]

Crystal School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Crystal School  (School Section No. 12)   Concession #7, Lot 6, built 1875 (see map) George Hornick built the area’s first school. The school was located in Lot 6 of the 7th Concession. The exact date of the construction is unknown but it was listed in the 1861 census. It was a school which held […]

Coad’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Coad’s School Originally called Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century (see map)   The former Coad’s school, a stone building, was erected in 1875, replacing the earlier log cabin school. The school had originally been named for the Dack Family, but adopted the name of Coad […]

Blanchard’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Blanchard’s School (School Section No. 4) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834  (see map) Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area. Further down the Town Line Road, Blanchard’s School suffered reverses and was closed in 1956. Pupils from Blanchard’s were then transferred to Mott’s Mills. […]

Lyn Cemetery

Lyn Cemetery Origins of the Cemetery and the Union Church The origin of Lyn Cemetery is obscure, but would appear to have originated with the first church, the Union Church, built by the Methodists on the spot where the drive-sheds for the St. John the Baptist (Church of England) were later built, now a parking […]

Glen Buell – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Glen Buell School (School Section # 16) “Peter Booth’ School 1842 Dr. John G.Booth’s eldest son was Peter Booth, born at the farm in 1825. In 1842 at the age of 17, he started teaching at the log school in Glen Buell. He had 63 children, ranging in age from 4 to 17, and received […]