Corporal Andrew Salomnson World War I Veteran

Corporal Andrew Salomnson 1887-1934 The year was 1887 when Andrew Salomnson was born (Andres Salomonsson) in Kall, Kall County, Sweden. If you were to look on a map you would find that Kall is located in the middle of Sweden, a pretty little village on the side of a lake. He was born on Tuesday, […]

Seelee’s Corners- A forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

History Of Seeley’s Corners (author unknown written in 1945) The location known as Seeley’s is part of Lot 32 in the Fourth Concession of Elizabethtown. From time to time this lot has been subdivided, there being several small parcels of land around the corner known as Seeley’s Corner. The total number of conveyances at the […]

Going to High School in the 1920’s

How many of you remember …? by Bessie B. Billings Do the 1920’s sound too remote for reminiscences called forth by B.C.I.’s 50th Celebrations We hope not, for many boys and girls who attended the old school, burned down in 1929, are now the white haired men and women who share the pleasures of the […]

The Latimer Collection (Part 4) – The Kodak Generation

  The Kodak Generation In 1900, George Eastman took mass-market photography one step further with the introduction of the Kodak Brownie, a simple and very inexpensive box camera that introduced the concept of the snapshot. The Brownie was extremely popular and various models remained on sale until the 1960s. Thanks to Kodak, photography became available […]

The Latimer Collection (Part 3) – Cabinet Cards and Early 1900’s Gelatin-Silver Prints

The Latimer Collection contains many old family photographs. In this section we will deal with the various Cabinet Cards and Early 1900’s Gelatin-Silver Prints in the collection.   Surnames found in the photographs are: Borthwick; Boyd; Coward; Davenport; Davis; Dobbs; Gilroy; Halliday; Hicks; Hicky; Latimer; Percival; Phelps; Scott; Simpson; Slack; Talpin and Wright   Cabinet […]

The Latimer Family (part 1)

The Latimer / Nyland Family have been kind enough to donate many of the photos from which we have been able to give you a glimpse into their life and past family history. Unfortunately the names of some people have been lost to history. Family Portrait taken in December 1942 This photo shows the four […]

First Public Viewed Execution in Elizabethtown – 1853

Strange things sometimes happened to murders in Canada West. Witness the case of John Simpson, alias Christopher Hill, publicly executed in the jail yard at Brockville on November 17, 1853, less than six months after he had beaten to death John Fell, an Augusta Farmer, on a lonely country road within view of the country town..

Mott’s General Store, Main Street, Lyn

The Credit Ledger from Blake E. Mott’s General Store, Lyn, Ontario (Author unknown) (Note: the photo is not of Mott’s Store, unfortunately no photos exist of his store) Blake Mott and his wife Edith were the proprietors of a General Store in Lyn from about 1921 to 1931. Blake rented the ground floor of the building […]

Christ United Church, Lyn

Christ Church Lyn…Now The United Church, by Walter K. Billings The Presbyterians of the Lyn district held their first service in the ball-room of the Brownton Hotel. It was conducted by the Rev. William Smart, who was one of the pioneers of religion. A Sunday school was organized by Mr. Smart and Adiel Sherwood, who […]

Christ United Church, Lyn

Now The United Church by Walter Billings The Presbyterians of the Lyn district held their first service in the ball-room of the Brownton Hotel. It was conducted by the Rev. William Smart, who was one of the pioneers of religion. A Sunday school was organized by Mr. Smart and Adiel Sherwood, who was sheriff of […]

The General Store in Lyn

The General Store in Lyn was located at 25 Main Street West and was first owned by A. T. Trickey. It was a drug store and also a general merchandise store. A.T. Trickey ran it until approximately 1890 when it was purchased by Mr. Gardiner. Mr. Gardiner did not have a druggist pharmacy license so […]

Redan – News from the Village – 1926

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the year – 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Redan , Jan 25th, 1926 Miss Laura Loucks spent the week-end at home in Smiths Falls. Mrs. Mildred Pritchard has returned after having visited relatives in […]

New Dublin – News from the Village – 1925-1930

  The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years – 1925 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario New Dublin – Feb 23, 1925 Dr. T.R. Whaley and Mrs. Whaley of Alsask, Sask., and Mr. and Mrs. W. Whaley of Charleston, […]

Greenbush – News from the Village – 1902-1930

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1902 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Greenbush, Sep 10, 1902 The Ladies Aide of Greenbush Church are holding a harvest social on Friday evening next in aid of the church.   […]

Fairfield East – News from the Village – 1925

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for 1925. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Fairfield East, Feb 25th, 1925 The auction sale of Claude Laforty was well attended and many from Brockville were there. The stock and implements brought extra good prices in […]

The One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown- Complete Listing

  For Photos, Maps etc. look under the school name on our website Addison School  (School Section No. 21) There have been four schools in Addison. The first was built of logs and burned. Both the second and third schools[1] in Addison doubled as Episcopal and Methodist Churches. The second school was a stone building […]

Greenbush – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Greenbush (Old’s Corners) Origins The lure of a fresh spring in the Canadian wilderness led to the founding of this community. In 1790, an 18 year old immigrant, whose family tree could be traced back to France of the 16th Century trekked overland from his home in Andover, Massachusetts with his bride, and after a […]

Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire Department

“Edna’s Scrapbook” is a paperback book written by Edna B. Chant and was published in 1998. Edna Chant was a reported with the “Athens Reporter” for 23 years and she is the author of four books. Her book, which is made up of news clippings from various sources, from which we have taken excerpts, gives […]

Glossville – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glossville The motorist passes through the former hamlet of Glossville so fast that they don’t realize that they just passed through a bit of Elizabethtown history. Probably 100 to 125 years ago, Glossville was in its glory. But when the oldest residents of the area were in their childhood, the name of Glossville was already […]

Glen Buell – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glen Buell  (Hayes Corners) This quiet hamlet on Highway 29, nine miles north of Brockville has a long and chequered history dating back to 1787. Back then it was wilderness dotted by farms and homesteads of the early settlers. It is located where Hwy 29 crosses the Seventh Concession of Elizabethtown,   Originally known as […]

Forthton – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Forthton (Unionville) John Kilborn and his wife Elizabeth Baldwin established a store at Unionville about 1816. He was also given a government post assisting settlement of immigrants. Many of the early residents of the Perth area passed through his hands. The settlers travelled overland by wagon and in some cases had to cut their own […]

Stewart’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Stewart’s School (School Section #1 – Elizabethtown) (School Section #16 – Augusta)   Adiel Sherwood inherited Lots 1 & 2 on the death of his father in 1826, and four years later sold Lot 1 to Henry Bradfield, a stone mason. Bradfield who lived here for 50 years also donated land for a school in […]

Row’s Corners – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Row’s Corners (School Section # 4)   This is all the information we have on this school. If anyone as any additional information or photos on this school we would appreciate hearing from you.       School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already […]

Rock Springs – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Rock Springs School (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown) (School Section # 19 – Kitley)   This is all the information we have on this school If anyone has inforation or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have […]

Read’s School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Read’s School (School Section 2- Elizabethtown) (School Section 30 – Augusta)   Read’s Public School, a log structure, was built in 1831 and served the community of Bethel for nearly 50 years until a stone building was erected in 1880 on the same plot of land. The land had originally been donated by UEL Pioneer […]

Moore’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Moore’s School (School Section #21)     We have no additional information about this school. If anyone has any information or photos, we would appreciate hearing from you.     School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents […]

Mead’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Mead’s Sectional School No. 14 We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you. School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Frame Building, […]

Maud’s – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Maud’s School (School Section No. 18)   We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: […]

Manhard’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Manhards School (School Section # 13) We have no information on this school. If anyone has any informaion or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Stone […]

Jellby – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Jellby School (School Section # 22)   We have no information about this school, if anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: […]

White’s Corners – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

White’s Corners (Whitehurst and Orchard Valley)   This forgotten community lies just east of Jellby, on the Jellby – North Augusta Road. The area is reached via the Greenbush Road to Greenbush, Rocksprings Road through its junction with the Jellby Road. Landmarks to look for are John Jelly’s old homestead and ¾ of a mile […]

Shiloh – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Shiloh  (Bell’s Crossing) The hamlet of Shiloh is located at the intersection of Shiloh Road and the road to Rocksprings. The old Bolton School once stool on the property of Henry White. The school once stood near the Bolton Cemetery on Lot 5 of the Tenth Concession in Elizabethtown. A Methodist church was built here […]

Bell’s Crossing – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bell’s Crossing (Shiloh, Whitehurst and White’s Corners)   “What was the neighbourhood at Bell’s Crossing called before the railway was put through there – was it Whitehurst? The name Whitehurst was simply the name of the post office, and as far as I can remember there was no post office there before the railway (Brockville […]

Kerr Family Cemetery

Kerr Family Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 25, Location: East side of County Road 7, just north of Greenbush, behind #9472 Cty Rd. 7, – Twp of Elizabethtown* – GPS- 44.701591, 75.858257     List of Graves:    Inserted “?” if not legible   KERR, Susan (daughter of George & Eleanor) – died February 5, 1863 […]

Booth Burying Ground

Booth Burying Ground Concession: 4, Lot: 32; Location: Seeley’s, on the west side of Perth Road between Kilkenny Road and Howe Road; Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.584538,- 75.805278                         Also buried here is Mathew Booth 1796-1852 and […]

Manhard – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Manhard This is only community in the eastern side of the township, because the only road north from Brockville was the notorious and deserted “smugglers’ highway’, was Manhard. Manhard is located at the junction of the 5th Concession, at the edge of the Manhard Bog. It was settled by David Manhard, a German, and his […]

Brockville Cemeteries

The Brockville Cemeteries The cemetery comprises 14 acres of land on either side of the highway. It has been owned and operated by the City of Brockville since 1860, when all the older in-town cemeteries were closed and the graves moved into this area. The land was purchased from the Grant Family. The land south […]

Brockville Cemetery Memorial Works

The Brockville Cemetery Memorial Works Just past the Lyn road on the south side of the highway you would come to this next business. Lancelot de Carle was the founder of the business now known as Brockville Cemetery Memorial Works. Lancelot de Carle was first in business in Prescott on that town’s King Street one […]

Riverside Park Ice Skating

Riverside Park Ice Skating Rink Across from the mink farm, during the winters of the 1930’s was an open air skating rink that was enjoyed by both the people of Brockville and Elizabethtown. Located on the south side of the highway, across from the Lyn Road, the rink was lit up at night and if […]

Brockville

Brockville We started our trip entering Elizabethtown from the east. Just as we passed the Ontario Hospital we would have noticed the sign welcoming us to Brockville. At this point Hwy No. 2 turns into King St East. “Brockville was the first police village (1832) in Upper Canada, when its population reached 1000; the first […]

Browntown Cemetery

Browntown Cemetery Concession: 9, Lot: 33; 1 mile north of Addison Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.675611, -75.884843 The photos and information were sent to us by E.Seabrooke, many thanks for them. They reported that this is the only headstone left standing in the cemetery plot.       […]

Browntown – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Browntown Few people today have ever heard of Browntown, but 100 to 150 years ago, this village of the Browns was a bustling, industrious community, with mills, houses, a black smithy, stores, hard working ambitious people and a fringe of prospering farmers with huge herds of cows. Prickly ash cover the slopes and only the […]

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Cemetery

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Cemetery Concession: 6, Lot: 20; – New Dublin Community Cemetery Board* – Across the road from the New Dublin Cemetery – GPS- 44.667349, -75.800447                                                         […]

Fulford Pioneer Cemetery

Fulford Pioneer Cemetery Concession: 1, Lot: 28; Location: at the south end of Fulford Point Road, west of Brockville , established in 1786 – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS- 44.541371, -75.750953 Anyone visiting this cemetery should ignore the “No Parking” signs as they are not valid. You will be parking on Township Land and this is […]

Fairfield East – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Fairfield East For many years, this community, a couple of miles north of Brockville, was served by a tiny store at the southeast corner of the main intersection in Fairfield East. Operated by Fred Bain and his wife, the store, though small, sold everything the community needed.  Bain Road which runs east past the store […]

Old St.Francis Xavier Cemetery

St. Francis Xavier Cemetery Concession: 1, Lot: 19/20; Alternate Cemetery Names: Brockville Cemetery; Old Catholic Cemetery – Brockville Cemetery Board* GPS- 44.574218, -75.720199 This cemetery is located behind Old St.Peter’s Cemetery and the Old Protestant Cemetery on the south side of Highway No.2 west of Brockville                   […]

St. Peter’s and the Old Prostestant Cemetery

St. Peter’s and the Old Protestant Cemetery, Brockville Concession: 1; Lot: 19/20; Location Address: Hwy 2, west of Brockville; Alternate Cemetery Name: Old Protestant Cemetery – Brockville Cemetery Board* GPS: 44.569994, -75.724892 This cemetery has been owned and operated by the City of Brockville since 1860, when fourteen acres of land on the western outskirts of […]

Howard Cemetery

Howard Cemetery Concession: 2, Lot 21; Location: South of the Centennial Road, across from the Parslow Road.- Howard Cemetery Board* – GPS- 44.593936, -75.748093, Drive to the end of the road and then onto a grass covered road. There is room to turn a car around at the end. Fenced, Gated and gate locked.   […]

Bethel – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bethel This fine old farming community, a mile east of Row’s corners, grew around the homestead of the early pioneers of Grenville County and Augusta Township. Settlers were farming here in the 1790’s. A Methodist congregation was thriving here in 1830 (though they had no church). The community derived its’ name from the Biblical ‘Bethel […]

Lyn Cemetery

Lyn Cemetery Origins of the Cemetery and the Union Church The origin of Lyn Cemetery is obscure, but would appear to have originated with the first church, the Union Church, built by the Methodists on the spot where the drive-sheds for the St. John the Baptist (Church of England) were later built, now a parking […]

Pepper Cemetery

Pepper Cemetery / Lucas Cemetery Concession: 10, Lot: 33; Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials  – Twp of Elizabethtown* – GPS- 44.685269, -75.890647- Redan Road north of Addison- Photos taken August 2016       List of Graves Andrew Pepper b 1847 d Feb 11, 1920 Evalina Pepper b 1871 d 1896 Jane Pepper b […]

Glen Buell Cemetery

Glen Buell Cemetery Concession 6, Lot 30 Location: East side of Highway 29, south of Glen Buell – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS- 44.634845, -75.838993, , The cemetery is located just north of house number 6065, Cty Rd. 29, dircetly north of the cemetery is a mowed path leading to the cemetery.- photos taken August 2016 […]

Bell’s Cemetery

Bell Crossing Cemetery (Whitehurst Cemetery) Concession: 11, Lot13; Location: Rocksprings Road; Alternate Cemetery Name: Bell Cemetery  (1796-1927)- Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.752596,-75.830426 – located next to old Bell’s School now a house on 11654 Rocksprings Road. Many stones are in poor shape, large mound in the centre of the cemetery. There is suppose to be the […]

Blanchard’s Cemetery

Blanchard Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 25, Location: east side of Road 7, north of Greenbush (1806-1964) – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.696039,-75.852077 – A little South of Jelly Farm Cemetery on County Road 7                                 Listing of Names on Tombstones […]

The Mining and Chemical Industry in Elizabethtown

The Mining and Chemical Industry in Elizabethtown The “Chemical Road” (now the Old Red Road) received its name because of the early mining operations and because of the Brockville chemical distilling works northwest of Brockville. There were deposits of iron pyrites containing cobalt and sulphur which were mined from 1868 until 1879. At the site […]

St. Lawrence Lodge

St. Lawrence Lodge Opened in 1970, St. Lawrence Lodge is a Long-Term Care Home that overlooks the majestic St. Lawrence River and provides care and support to 224 residents. Serving the citizens of the City of Brockville, the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville, and the separated Towns of Prescott and Gananoque.   The lodge […]

Ontario Hospital

Ontario Hospital  (Brockville Psychiatric Hospital) A little further along Highway No. 2 on the north side you would pass several very impressive large stone buildings encompassed by a stone fence. Depending on the time of the year when you drove by, there would have been men working in fields of vegetables on either side of […]

New Dublin- A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

New Dublin (Lamb’s Pond; Dublin Corners)   Lamb’s Pond was the original name of this settlement, the name being taken from a mile long body of water on the Lamb Homestead.   Nicholas Burns was born in Dublin, Ireland and as a lad of 19, migrated to Canada in 1820. He settled at Lamb’s Pond […]

Cemeteries in Elizabethtown

  This listing has been compiled from various sites on the internet. In researching this, we found that no one site contained all of the cemeteries listed below. In the future we will attempt to visit each cemetery and post photos and more information regarding each burial ground.  We by no means, make any claims […]