Vintage Doll Collection

They have been called “Creepy” by some, and maybe they are, but to the little girls who owned these dolls they were beautiful and loved. Some dolls in our collection date back to the early 1900’s, and despite the ravages of time, still reflect the love that they once gave to their owners. We are […]

Wagon Wheel Tire Shrinker

The Tire Shrinker – Also known as an upsetter, was used to resize and weld buggy tires. When the hub and or spokes dried out from age and dry weather the outer band of iron called the tire would become loose. The tire could be heated and placed in this machine and then upset or […]

The Livingston Pneumatic Vacuum Sweeper

What is bigger than a breadbox and weighs 14 pounds? If you guessed a Pneumatic Vacuum Sweeper you were correct. It measures 17” long x 13” wide and 8” high and is a beast to push across any carpet. Was it revolutionary? Perhaps but only for a short while until with the coming of electricity […]

Pte. Albert Ellery Tallman

Albert Ellery Tallman, Pte No 859031 Albert was born in Toledo, Ontario on February 15th, 1885. His proud parents were Nelson Tallman (1852-1922) and Frances Ann nee Gorman (1854-1920). He was a member of a large family consisting of eight brothers and sisters. There is little we know about his youth or the rest of […]

The Bissell Carpet Sweeper

Another look inside the museum at our collection- The Bissell Carpet Sweeper History of the Bissell Carpet Sweeper A Simple Start: Spilled Sawdust…Anna and Melville’s Crockery Shop Like a lot of well intentioned people who plan on having a relaxing Saturday, we didn’t really mean to start cleaning—it just happened. In 1876, Melville R. Bissell […]

Pte. Frederick William Gray

Frederick William Gray # 454847 (Pte.) Frederick William Gray was born in Lyn on September 6th 1895. He was the second child born to his parents John Henry and Smiena (known as Mimmie) her maiden name was Graham. His parents were farmers and after attending high school at Brockville Collegite Institute, Frederick followed in their […]

Pte. Stanley Darling

Stanley Clarence Darling Stanley Clarence Darling was born on November 26th, 1894 in Lillies just north of the Village of Lyn. His mother was Fanny Darling and his father Wells. He was the oldest in a family of two boys and three girls. His brother Grant was born a year after him in 1895. We […]

Fire Insurance Maps

Goad Company Insurance Maps Charles Edward Goad (March 15, 1848 – June 10, 1910 ) was a noted cartographer and civil engineer. Goad is most noted for his insurance surveys of cities in Canada, Great Britain, and elsewhere. Fire insurance companies needed to know in detail the nature and size of buildings, width of streets, […]

Mallorytown Telephone Company

The Mallorytown Telephone Company was just one of hundreds small companies that dotted the rural landscape to serve local needs. It served both the Mallorytown and Lyn, Ontario phone requirements. The service connected with Bell Telephone at Mallorytown. In Lyn their exchange was located in the bottom floor of the Pergau Building on Main Street. […]

Jelly Farm Cemetery – 1876-1911

This is a small family cemetery that was for members of the Jelly Family. The cemetery is located on the intersection of County Rd 7 and the Atkins Lake Road. Photos from August 2016                   List of grave-sites as compiled by the Brockville Genealogical Society: Last First […]

The Last Run of the B & W

Passing of the Farmer’s Friend A good and faithful servant retires to a well earned rest by Gertrude E. Wheeler (nee Forth) 1952 On August 30th, last year, the old B&W Railway of Leeds County, Ontario became only a memory — a fragment of Leeds County history. The engine whistled a mournful note of farewell […]

St. James of Jerusalem at Jellyby

The Church of Ian by Tom Van Dusen Anybody shopping for Russel’s Ian Cunningham this Christmas has their work cut out topping what he gifted himself this year. Ian bought himself a church, not a table top porcelain church to place in a Christmas village. No Ian bought a full size stand alone church out […]

Memories of my Grandfather, William Henry MacNish

A Granddaughter Remembers Her Grandfather – William Henry MacNish by Margaret MacNish “My grandfather William Henry MacNish, was over 6 feet tall and carried a full head of snow-white hair. Heavy shouldered, he walked with a slow and dignified shuffle about the farm and up the oval driveway to the stone house. In spring, summer […]

Dynamite for Santa in the One Room School Christmas Concert

Christmas is a magical time, it was even more so when you attended a one room schoolhouse. It was a time before mass media and commercialism, a simpler time when our imaginations were the most important part of our growing up. We are fortunate to be able to share a story of those days written […]

Signature Quilt of 1926

The 1926 Lyn Signature Quilt For some reason in the spring of 1926, the Lyn Women’s Institute undertook to make a signature quiltto be sold that autumn at their annual bazaar. Funds generated by such an enterprise were used for a variety of community works, and perhaps a special need was felt to supplement improvements […]

Lyn Cemetery – Listing of Interments

The Lyn Cemetery Recording by George A.Neville (as it appeared in the booklet “Families” vol.22, no. 4, 1983, November) NOTE: Grave Location Maps at the very end of this post NOTE: Alphabetical Listing of Names is in the middle section of this post The Lyn cemetery was recorded during three major visitations on the 6th, […]

Memories from a One Room School House

Story One Our little school (Yonge Mills) had a few memories besides education that stands out in my mind. At Christmas time before school closed our teacher and pupils held a Christmas Concert. For weeks we practised our part then one school afternoon we held the concert. A couple of the older boys would go […]

Frozen Charlotte Doll

Frozen Charlotte Dolls Frozen Charlotte is a name used to describe a specific form of China Doll made from c. 1850 to c. 1920. The dolls had substantial popularity during the Victorian Era. The name of the doll originates from the American Folk Ballad, Fair Charlotte, based on the poem “A Corpse Going to a […]

Toledo – A Village in Kitley

Toledo There was a time when this fine old Kitley Village was known simply as Bellamy Mills, due to its proximity to the mills operated by Chauncey Bellamy on Bellamy Lake west of the village. The actual survey of Kitley was delayed for seven years until 1797. In the meantime, Kitley had its first settler, […]

Newbliss – A Hamlet in Kitley

Newbliss The village dates back to 1802, when United Empire Loyalists settled on grants of land given them by the Crown. Rachel and Isaiah Wiley were granted Lot 13 on the 4th Concession and opposite it Lot 13 on the 5th Concession was granted to Catherine Moore in 1805. Two dirt roads crossed at the […]

Jasper – A Hamlet in Kitley

Jasper   ( Irish Creek, Olmsted’s Mills) Jasper lies in the North East section of Kitley along the boundary with Wolford Township, with Irish Creek running through the village. Joseph Haskins, the first miler in these parts, settled on the future site of Jasper in 1802. At that time, Irish Lake was a muddy swamp […]

Frankville – A Hamlet in Kitley

Frankville The first Loyalist came in 1784 and a large number settled in Kitley Township in the years 1784 to 1830. They laboured hard to build up this community. Kitley was surveyed in 1797 and thrown open to settlers. Among the first to arrive was Loyalist Major William Read who had originally secured Crown land […]

Soper’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Soper’s School (Otterman’s School)  School Section No. 13   Concession #9, Lot 12, built 1850 (see map) present address 661 Kitley Line 8 The origins of the original Soper School have been lost in the sands of time. It was probably a log cabin school and existed on the site as early as 1820. This […]