Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School School Section No. 2 (School Section #2- Elmsley Township)   Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map) In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane. A new stone building was constructed in 1875, replacing an older school further down the road which was […]

Rock Springs School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rock Springs School (School Section # 19 – Kitley) (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown)   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: no report 1854: no report   If anyone has any information on this […]

Redan School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Redan School (School Section #20 – Kitley) (School Section # 26 – Elizabethtown)   Redan was settled in the years 1840-1860 by Irish Immigrants. The original inhabitants were the Youngs, the Marshalls, Burnetts, Pritchards, Motts, Richards and Wilsons. The old Richardson homestead here was originally part of a clergy reserve. In 1854 the government released […]

Rathwell’s School (Jasper) – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rathwell’s School (Jasper School) School Section #22  (Wolford School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 4 (see map) After 1858 the school that was Wolford  SS#22 became Rathwell’s School, northeast corner of County Road 16 and Corkoran Road. (Note: on the 1862-62 map there was no school at this location, the closest school we […]

Newbliss School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Newbliss School (School Section No. 5)   Concession #4, Lot 13, built late 1830’s (see map) Newbliss village had a log school which was replaced in 1874 by a stone structure. Newbliss School was phased out of existence in 1961 with the pupils being transferred to Jasper. Newbliss had two schoolhouses to serve the community, […]

Mott’s Mills – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mott’s Mills School  (School Section No. 3)   Concession #3, Lot 21, built c1833 (see map) Generations of Mott’s Mills children were educated at the community’s old one room school, which closed around 1950. The original log school was built on Lot 21 of the 3rd Concession of Kitley. It was succeed by a frame […]

Mitchell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mitchell School (School Section No. 16)   Concession #8, Lot 23, built late 1840’s (see map “This school was a Union School and served part of Bastard Township where it was known as School Section #17. According to an April 19th, 1849 Brockville Recorder, 65 pounds was granted to build a schoolhouse for this section. […]

Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School (School Section No. 10) Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was […]

Lehigh’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lehigh’s School (Leehy’s School) School Section #18   Concession #9, Lot 22 (see map) Gideon Leehy believed in educating the youngsters, so he put up a log school on the south side of Kitley’s Ninth Concession Road. The school lasted until 1851, when it burned down. By this time a number of other families had […]

Kinch St. School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Kinch St. School  (School Section No. 8)   Concession #6, Lot 9, built 1840’s (see map) The first log school house here was built in the early 1840’s on the west corner of the farm of pioneer Isaac Foster. Known as S.S. #8, the log school burned down a few years after it was built. […]

Judgeville School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Judgeville School  (School Section No. 7)   Concession #4, Lot 26, built prior to 1870 (see map   Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975” Judgeville School, S.S. No. 7, contained a public school and a separate school. The separate school goes back prior to the 1870’s, ad in 1872, Mr. James Dempsey was […]

Hutton’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Hutton’s School  (School Section No. 1)   Concession #1, Lot 7, built late 1870’s (see map) Little to nothing is known about this school. “It is presumed that the present stone structure was erected in the late 1870’s or sometime thereafter. It is also safe to presume that an earlier school of log construction was […]

Frankville – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Frankville School We are not sure if the school S.S. 14 was the earliest school in the Frankville area. Frankville has a rather distinctive history as far as schools are concerned considering that it was the only centre in Kitley to have a grammar school which was the equivalent of a present day high school. […]

Crystal School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Crystal School  (School Section No. 12)   Concession #7, Lot 6, built 1875 (see map) George Hornick built the area’s first school. The school was located in Lot 6 of the 7th Concession. The exact date of the construction is unknown but it was listed in the 1861 census. It was a school which held […]

Coad’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Coad’s School Originally called Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century (see map)   The former Coad’s school, a stone building, was erected in 1875, replacing the earlier log cabin school. The school had originally been named for the Dack Family, but adopted the name of Coad […]

Blanchard’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Blanchard’s School (School Section No. 4) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834  (see map) Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area. Further down the Town Line Road, Blanchard’s School suffered reverses and was closed in 1956. Pupils from Blanchard’s were then transferred to Mott’s Mills. […]

Row’s Corners – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Row’s Corners (School Section # 4)   This is all the information we have on this school. If anyone as any additional information or photos on this school we would appreciate hearing from you.       School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already […]

Rock Springs – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Rock Springs School (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown) (School Section # 19 – Kitley)   This is all the information we have on this school If anyone has inforation or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have […]

Manhard’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Manhards School (School Section # 13) We have no information on this school. If anyone has any informaion or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Stone […]

Redan School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown

Redan School (School Section # 26 – Elizabethtown) (School Section #20 – Kitley)   Redan was settled in the years 1840-1860 by Irish Immigrants. The original inhabitants were the Youngs, the Marshalls, Burnetts, Pritchards, Motts, Richards and Wilsons. The old Richardson homestead here was originally part of a clergy reserve. In 1854 the government released […]

Spring Valley – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Spring Valley School  (School Section #11) Spring Valley School was first located at the corner of W.E. Stewart’s field to the left of Ruben Davis’ driveway. The original school was an unpainted frame building that got so old, it could no longer be kept warm in winter. In 1878 the present school was completed further […]

Lyn School – Elizabethtown’s Largest School

Lyn School   (School Section #7)   The first school house was located in the centre of the village by the creek. It was abandoned for a newer one room brick school at the west end of the Village, across from the present building. It was in use until 1867 when it burned down. The growth […]

Lillie’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Lillie’s School (S.S. No. 12 Elizabethtown S.S.No. 9 Front of Yonge) Lillie’s School was located at Lillie’s about five miles from Lyn on the Graham Lake Road. The original school was built of wood and located on the west corner of Hendry Road a quarter of a mile west of the new school. The wooden […]

Howard School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Howard School (School Section #6)   On the 12th Day of October 1861, a parcel of land was purchased on which to build the Howard School.  The indenture was between Andrew Donaldson and his wife Eliza and the School Section number 6 in the township of Elizabethtown, for a sum of sixty dollars. The parcel […]

Halleck’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Halleck’s School  (School Section #5) On June 28, 1963 the school rang its’ bell for the last time. The teacher at the time was Mrs. Marion Ross, and she was the last person to teach at the little brick school house located on the Halleck’s Road. The 27 remaining pupils from this school were transferred […]

Greenbush – a One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Greenbush School  (School Section No. 20)   The first school in Greenbush was built of logs in 1835 on land donated by James Haskin. It burned in 1845 after only ten years of use. The second school, made of stone, was constructed on the same site in 1848. It was twice as large as the […]

Fairfield East a One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown

Fairfield East School School Section No. 8 The first school was a log cabin built on the west corner of the farm owned by McDougall’s. Johnathan Barr was the teacher and was noted for his stern and strict qualities. When the community became more settled it was found that the school was not central nor […]