One Room School Houses in Elizabethtown

The One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown- Complete Listing

  For Photos, Maps etc. look under the school name on our website Addison School  (School Section No. 21) There have been four schools in Addison. The first was built of logs and burned. Both the second and third schools[1] in Addison doubled as Episcopal and Methodist Churches. The second school was a stone building Read the full article…

Yonge Mills School Minute and Ledger Book 1877 to 1893

Yonge Mills School S.S. No 2 & 3 in Young and S.S. No. 18 in Elizabethtown We are fortunate to have in our collection the Minute Book and Ledger for this school for the years 1877 to 1893. Unfortunately there are some pages missing and some so faded that they are un-readable. This book gives Read the full article…

Stewart’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Stewart’s School (School Section #1 – Elizabethtown) (School Section #16 – Augusta)   Adiel Sherwood inherited Lots 1 & 2 on the death of his father in 1826, and four years later sold Lot 1 to Henry Bradfield, a stone mason. Bradfield who lived here for 50 years also donated land for a school in Read the full article…

Row’s Corners – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Row’s Corners (School Section # 4)   This is all the information we have on this school. If anyone as any additional information or photos on this school we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and Read the full article…

Rock Springs – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Rock Springs School (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown) (School Section # 19 – Kitley)   This is all the information we have on this school If anyone has inforation or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have Read the full article…

Read’s School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Read’s School (School Section 2- Elizabethtown) (School Section 30 – Augusta)   Read’s Public School, a log structure, was built in 1831 and served the community of Bethel for nearly 50 years until a stone building was erected in 1880 on the same plot of land. The land had originally been donated by UEL Pioneer Read the full article…

Moore’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Moore’s School (School Section #21)     We have no additional information about this school. If anyone has any information or photos, we would appreciate hearing from you.     School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Read the full article…

Mead’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Mead’s Sectional School No. 14 We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you. School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Frame Building, Read the full article…

Maud’s – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Maud’s School (School Section No. 18)   We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: Read the full article…

Manhard’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Manhards School (School Section # 13) We have no information on this school. If anyone has any informaion or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Stone Read the full article…

Jellby – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Jellby School (School Section # 22)   We have no information about this school, if anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Read the full article…

Redan School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown

Redan School (School Section # 26 – Elizabethtown) (School Section #20 – Kitley)   Redan was settled in the years 1840-1860 by Irish Immigrants. The original inhabitants were the Youngs, the Marshalls, Burnetts, Pritchards, Motts, Richards and Wilsons. The old Richardson homestead here was originally part of a clergy reserve. In 1854 the government released Read the full article…

Bolton School- A One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown

Bolton School (School Section # 23) The old Bolton School once stool on the property of Henry White. The school once stood near the Bolton Cemetery on Lot 5 of the Tenth Concession in Elizabethtown.  There were several Berry Families located near the school, and their children made up the larger part of the student Read the full article…

Bell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown

Bell’s School (School Section #24) Wolford Twp (School Section #16)   Bell’s School was a shared school between Elizabethtown and Wolford Township. It was located on the Rocksprings Road and to the immediate east of the schoolhouse is the Bell’s Cemetery. There used to be a stone church in one corner of the emery, but Read the full article…

Marshalls School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Marshall School  Sectional School No. 17  (SS # 3 – Augusta) Alt. name Gosford School   The first children of the area of Linden Bank went to school in a crude log building, but in 1869 the farmers of the area constructed what became to be known as Marshall School. The school was built out Read the full article…

Hawke’s School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Hawke’s School Sectional School No. 27 (Rear of Young SS # 11)   There was a school in Glossville called “Hawke’s School. The school was so named because there were two group of Hawke’s children who attended the school in its early years. One Hawke farm was located north of the school the other farm Read the full article…

Yonge Mills – a One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Yonge Mills School School Section #28 Elizbethtown  School Section # 2 & 3 Front of Yonge   The Yonge Mills School house is located on the Yonge Mills Road, approximately 3 ½ miles west of the village of Lyn.  On September 26th 1874 a ¾ acre lot was severed from the land owned by Mr. Read the full article…

Tincap – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Tin Cap School (Sectional School #9)   The unique name of Tincap was given to the community by some early settlers because the old stone schoolhouse boasted a cupola with a tin cap and as this was the only building of note, Tincap seemed a very suggestive name. The school was burned about 1894, and Read the full article…

Spring Valley – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Spring Valley School  (School Section #11)   Spring Valley School was first located at the corner of W.E. Stewart’s field to the left of Ruben Davis’ driveway. The original school was an unpainted frame building that got so old, it could no longer be kept warm in winter. In 1878 the present school was completed Read the full article…

Sherwood Springs – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Sherwood Springs School School Sectional #3 Elizabethtown  School Sectional # 1 Front of Yonge   The first school building was made of logs and located on the west side of Sherwood Springs Road, near the site of Jim Eligh’s brick house. It was started in 1851, but not opened until January 3, 1854. The second Read the full article…

Seeley’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Seeley’s School (School Section #10)   The original school building made of stone, was built in 1849. The second building, built of brick in 1889, burned one cold winter’s day on January  26, 1957. The growth of the settlement at Seeley’s necessitated the building of a school. In 1849 one was built on the corner Read the full article…

Rock School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Rock School School Section Number Unknown The new Rock School was built in 1937. The school was built of native granite, quarried a few yards from the school. This new school is located on Hwy #2 west of Brockville, and west of Oakland Cemetery. It was regarded as a model rural public school with accommodations Read the full article…

New Dublin – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

New Dublin School (School Section #15)   The first school was built near Lamb’s Pond, almost across the road from the Ernest Kendrick farm, later owned by Donald Stewart. Later a school was built on the Horton Farm near the present school. No dates are know for the erection of either of these buildings. The Read the full article…

Lyn – Elizabethtown’s Largest School

Lyn School   (School Section #7)   The first school house was located in the centre of the village by the creek. It was abandoned for a newer one room brick school at the west end of the Village, across from the present building. It was in use until 1867 when it burned down. The growth Read the full article…

Lillie’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Lillie’s School (S.S. No. 12 Elizabethtown S.S.No. 9 Front of Yonge)   Lillie’s School was located at Lillie’s about five miles from Lyn on the Graham Lake Road. The original school was built of wood and located on the west corner of Hendry Road a quarter of a mile west of the new school. The Read the full article…

Howard – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Howard School (School Section #6)   On the 12th Day of October 1861, a parcel of land was purchased on which to build the Howard School.  The indenture was between Andrew Donaldson and his wife Eliza and the School Section number 6 in the township of Elizabethtown, for a sum of sixty dollars. The parcel Read the full article…

Halleck’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Halleck’s School  (School Section #5)   On June 28, 1963 the school rang its’ bell for the last time. The teacher at the time was Mrs. Marion Ross, and she was the last person to teach at the little brick school house located on the Halleck’s Road. The 27 remaining pupils from this school were Read the full article…

Greenbush – a One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Greenbush School  (School Section No. 20)   The first school in Greenbush was built of logs in 1835 on land donated by James Haskin. It burned in 1845 after only ten years of use. The second school, made of stone, was constructed on the same site in 1848. It was twice as large as the Read the full article…

Glen Buell – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Glen Buell School (School Section # 16)   “Peter Booth’ School 1842 Dr. John G.Booth’s eldest son was Peter Booth, born at the farm in 1825. In 1842 at the age of 17, he started teaching at the log school in Glen Buell. He had 63 children, ranging in age from 4 to 17, and Read the full article…

Fairfield East a One Room Schoolhouse in Elizabethtown

Fairfield East School School Section No. 8 The first school was a log cabin built on the west corner of the farm owned by McDougall’s. Johnathan Barr was the teacher and was noted for his stern and strict qualities. When the community became more settled it was found that the school was not central nor Read the full article…

Addison a One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Addison School  (School Section No. 21) There have been four schools in Addison. The first was built of logs and burned. Both the second and third schools[1] in Addison doubled as Episcopal and Methodist Churches. The second school was a stone building which stood beside the third, framed school. This school was moved to Benjamin Read the full article…