Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School School Section No. 2   Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map) In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane. A new stone building was constructed in 1875, replacing an older school further down the road which was subject to arson, possibly committed […]

Rock Springs School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rock Springs School (School Section # 19 – Kitley) (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown)   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: no report 1854: no report   If anyone has any information on this […]

Redan School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Redan School (School Section #20 – Kitley) (School Section # 26 – Elizabethtown)   Redan was settled in the years 1840-1860 by Irish Immigrants. The original inhabitants were the Youngs, the Marshalls, Burnetts, Pritchards, Motts, Richards and Wilsons. The old Richardson homestead here was originally part of a clergy reserve. In 1854 the government released […]

Rathwell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rathwell’s School School Section #22  (Wolford School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 4 (see map) After 1858 the school that was Wolford  SS#22 became Rathwell’s School, northeast corner of County Road 16 and Corkoran Road. (Note: on the 1862-62 map there was no school at this location, the closest school we could find […]

Newbliss School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Newbliss School (School Section No. 5)   Concession #4, Lot 13, built late 1830’s (see map) Newbliss village had a log school which was replaced in 1874 by a stone structure. Newbliss School was phased out of existence in 1961 with the pupils being transferred to Jasper. Newbliss had two schoolhouses to serve the community, […]

Mott’s Mills – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mott’s Mills School  (School Section No. 3)   Concession #3, Lot 21, built c1833 (see map) Generations of Motts Mills children were educated at the community’s old one room school, which closed around 1950. The original log school was built on Lot 21 of the 3rd Concession of Kitley. It was succeed by a frame […]

Mitchell School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mitchell School (School Section No. 14)   Concession #8, Lot 23, built late 1840’s (see map If anyone has any information or photos regarding this school we would appreciate hearing from you.         The Athens Reporter and County of Leeds Advertiser Tuesday March 5, 1895 issue–  Mitchell’s School (Kitley S.S. #14) Honor […]

Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School (School Section No. 10) Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was […]

Lehigh School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lehigh’s School (Leehy’s School) School Section #18   Concession #9, Lot 22 (see map) Gideon Leehy believed in educating the youngsters, so he put up a log school on the south side of Kitley’s Ninth Concession Road. The school lasted until 1851, when it burned down. By this time a number of other families had […]

Crystal School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Crystal School  (School Section No. 12)   Concession #7, Lot 6, built 1875 (see map) George Hornick built the area’s first school. The school was located in Lot 6 of the 7th Concession. The exact date of the construction is unknown but it was listed in the 1861 census. It was a school which held […]

Coad School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Coad School and Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century (see map)   The former Coad’s school, a stone building, was erected in 1875, replacing the earlier log cabin school. The school had originally been named for the Dack Family, but adopted the name of Coad in […]

Blanchard School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Blanchard School  (School Section No. 4 or 11) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834  (see map) Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area. Further down the Town Line Road, Blanchard’s School suffered reverses and was closed in 1956. Pupils from Blanchard’s were then transferred to […]

Kitley- One Room School Houses

One Room School Houses in Kitley  Blanchard School  (School Section No. 4 or 11) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834 Coad School and Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6) Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century Cornell School  (School Section No. 9) Concession #5, Lot 22, burned in 1865 Crystal School  (School Section No. […]