Hamlets of Kitley

Frankville – News from the Village

The Athens Reporter and County of Leeds Advertiser   Excerpts have been taken from this paper referencing the following hamlet for the years 1889, 1894 and 1895   Tuesday Oct 30, 1894 issue- Frankville, Oct 28- The new fence erected in front of the McCrea property adds much to its appearance. Wesley Brown’s new house Read the full article…

Shane’s Corners – A Forgotten Hamlet in Kitley

Shane’s Corners The area around the community was initially settled by Lowland Scots. Otter and Hutton Creeks passed through the area but these waterways were not large enough to support a mill operation Shane’s Corners was a small settlement located along Highway 29 near what was the First Concession of Kitley. Shane’s Corners was settled Read the full article…

Mott’s Mills – A forgotten Hamlet in Kitley

Mott’s Mills History has not recorded the early days of Mott’s Mills, but it is known that a homesteader, John Mott, built the first mill near his farm which straddled Hutton Creek, Mott lived in the area around 1820. The Mott family is mentioned a number of times in Leeds County archives. Ruben Mott lived Read the full article…

Kinch Street – A Forgotten Hamlet in Kitley

Kinch Street The great Irish immigration into Canada in the late 1830’s and early 1840’s brought the first Kinch Family to this old community. They carved a homestead out of the wilderness beside the road that is known as Kinch Street. Although always prosperous because of the fertility of its’ farms, Kinch Street had no Read the full article…

Lehigh Corners – A Hamlet in Kitley

Lehigh Corners  (Kilborn Corners) This community is situated on the southern fringe of Frankville, straddling No.29 Highway. In the late 1800’s a toll gate was operated here on the old Victoria Macadamized road running between Brockville and Smith’s Falls. The original settler was Gideon Leehy, somewhere around 1800. The spelling of the family name was Read the full article…

Jasper – A Hamlet in Kitley

Jasper   ( Irish Creek, Olmsted’s Mills) Jasper lies in the North East section of Kitley along the boundary with Wolford Township, with Irish Creek running through the village. Joseph Haskins, the first miler in these parts, settled on the future site of Jasper in 1802. At that time, Irish Lake was a muddy swamp Read the full article…

Blanchard’s Hill – A Forgotten Hamlet in Kitley

Blanchard’s Hill Blanchard’s Hill is reached by two roads, off of No.15 and off of No.29 highways. A large sign on No.15 Hwy three miles southwest of Lombardy proclaims “Blanchard’s Hill Road”. The road takes off from No.15 on an abandoned section of pavement, and then climbs the hill towards the old Blanchard Homestead. From Read the full article…

Bellamy’s Mills – A Forgotten Hamlet in Kitley

Bellamy’s Mills The Livingston Brothers were among a group of settlers brought to Kitley by Able Stevens, the pioneer Baptist missionary whose settlements led to the establishment of both Bastard and Kitley townships. John Livingston dammed Irish Creek to provide a mill pond for his mill. The damming created a lake in the hollow, and Read the full article…