Seelee’s Corners- A forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

History Of Seeley’s Corners (author unknown written in 1945) The location known as Seeley’s is part of Lot 32 in the Fourth Concession of Elizabethtown. From time to time this lot has been subdivided, there being several small parcels of land around the corner known as Seeley’s Corner. The total number of conveyances at the […]

Tin Cap – News from the Village – 1925-1926

  The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years – 1925 to 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Tin Cap – Feb 27th, 1925 Mrs. Leonard Elliott, Brockville, spent a few days last week visiting her aunt, Mrs. George Boyd. Fred […]

Redan – News from the Village – 1926

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the year – 1926. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Redan , Jan 25th, 1926 Miss Laura Loucks spent the week-end at home in Smiths Falls. Mrs. Mildred Pritchard has returned after having visited relatives in […]

New Dublin – News from the Village – 1925-1930

  The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years – 1925 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario New Dublin – Feb 23, 1925 Dr. T.R. Whaley and Mrs. Whaley of Alsask, Sask., and Mr. and Mrs. W. Whaley of Charleston, […]

Lyn – News from the Village – 1912 to 1942

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1912-1942. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Lyn, Sep 4, 1912 Killed on Track – While walking from Brockville to his home above Lyn, between twelve and one o’clock on Thursday afternoon, Nathan Purvis, […]

Lillies – News from the Village – 1927

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1927. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Lillies, April 16th , 1927 Albert Gardiner is a patient at the General hospital. All are hoping to see him home soon. Morton Charlton’s auction sale was […]

Jellyby – News from the Village – 1924-1928

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1924 to 1928. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Jellyby –Nov 17th, 1924 Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Johnston, Greenbush spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. William Rowsome. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Freeman attended the […]

Greenbush – News from the Village – 1902-1930

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1902 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Greenbush, Sep 10, 1902 The Ladies Aide of Greenbush Church are holding a harvest social on Friday evening next in aid of the church.   […]

Glossville- News from the Village – 1905

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the year 1905. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Glossville, Dec 6, 1905 Mr. Willie Good spent Sunday at Maitland. Miss Maggie Johnston is home after spending a coupe of months in Brockville Mr. and Mrs. […]

Glen Buell – News from the Village 1905-1930

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1905 to 1930. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Glen Buell, Nov 27, 1905 Albert Hayes is erecting a new barn for Mr. Richard White and will soon have it completed. Miss Ella Davis […]

Fairfield East – News from the Village – 1925

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for 1925. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario Fairfield East, Feb 25th, 1925 The auction sale of Claude Laforty was well attended and many from Brockville were there. The stock and implements brought extra good prices in […]

Addison – News from the Village 1902 to 1927

The Athens Reporter- excerpts have been taken from this newspaper for the years- 1902 to 1927. The original newspapers are in the archives of the Heritage House Museum, Athens, Ontario  Addison, Sep 10 1902 Messrs. Frank and Fremont Blanchard are attending the Toronto Exhibition this week. Mr. James Nevens of Easton’s Corners was a guest […]

Greenbush – News from the Village

The Athens Reporter and County of Leeds Advertiser Excerpts have been taken from this paper referencing the following hamlet for the years 1889, 1894 and 1895 Greenbush- Jan 15 1889 Peace has been restored and the ‘little brown jug’ found. That ‘man in the North End’, mentioned by your occasional reporter, assisted very kindly to […]

Bellamy’s & Clark’s Crossing – Forgotten Hamlets in Elizabethtown

Bellamy’s & Clark’s Crossing Are these two places forgotten hamlets or just names of railroad crossings on a map ? We have been unable to find out any information on either place. As the map shows Bellamys did have a station on the Brockville and Ottawa Railway, Clark’s Crossing did not. The only information we […]

Row’s Corners – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Row’s Corners While the United Empire Loyalists of 1784 opened up the St.Lawrence River areas of Elizabethtown and Augusta late in the 18th Century, it was not until the early 1800’s the tide of immigration reached the ‘back40’s’ of these townships. One of these early homesteaders was farmer Peter McEachron who proved up on a […]

Gosford – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Gosford This old community, lying in both Elizabethtown and Augusta Townships is reached by the Gosford Road which leads off the Brockville-North Augusta road eight miles northeast of Brockville. The early history of this old Elizabethtown township community has been lost in the mists of time, but it is known that settlers were living here […]

Glossville – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glossville The motorist passes through the former hamlet of Glossville so fast that they don’t realize that they just passed through a bit of Elizabethtown history. Probably 100 to 125 years ago, Glossville was in its glory. But when the oldest residents of the area were in their childhood, the name of Glossville was already […]

Glen Buell – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glen Buell  (Hayes Corners) This quiet hamlet on Highway 29, nine miles north of Brockville has a long and chequered history dating back to 1787. Back then it was wilderness dotted by farms and homesteads of the early settlers. It is located where Hwy 29 crosses the Seventh Concession of Elizabethtown,   Originally known as […]

Forthton – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Forthton (Unionville) John Kilborn and his wife Elizabeth Baldwin established a store at Unionville about 1816. He was also given a government post assisting settlement of immigrants. Many of the early residents of the Perth area passed through his hands. The settlers travelled overland by wagon and in some cases had to cut their own […]

White’s Corners – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

White’s Corners (Whitehurst and Orchard Valley)   This forgotten community lies just east of Jellby, on the Jellby – North Augusta Road. The area is reached via the Greenbush Road to Greenbush, Rocksprings Road through its junction with the Jellby Road. Landmarks to look for are John Jelly’s old homestead and ¾ of a mile […]

Shiloh – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Shiloh  (Bell’s Crossing) The hamlet of Shiloh is located at the intersection of Shiloh Road and the road to Rocksprings. The old Bolton School once stool on the property of Henry White. The school once stood near the Bolton Cemetery on Lot 5 of the Tenth Concession in Elizabethtown. A Methodist church was built here […]

Bell’s Crossing – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bell’s Crossing (Shiloh, Whitehurst and White’s Corners)   “What was the neighbourhood at Bell’s Crossing called before the railway was put through there – was it Whitehurst? The name Whitehurst was simply the name of the post office, and as far as I can remember there was no post office there before the railway (Brockville […]

Manhard – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Manhard This is only community in the eastern side of the township, because the only road north from Brockville was the notorious and deserted “smugglers’ highway’, was Manhard. Manhard is located at the junction of the 5th Concession, at the edge of the Manhard Bog. It was settled by David Manhard, a German, and his […]

Browntown – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Browntown Few people today have ever heard of Browntown, but 100 to 150 years ago, this village of the Browns was a bustling, industrious community, with mills, houses, a black smithy, stores, hard working ambitious people and a fringe of prospering farmers with huge herds of cows. Prickly ash cover the slopes and only the […]

Fairfield East – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Fairfield East For many years, this community, a couple of miles north of Brockville, was served by a tiny store at the southeast corner of the main intersection in Fairfield East. Operated by Fred Bain and his wife, the store, though small, sold everything the community needed.  Bain Road which runs east past the store […]

Bethel – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bethel This fine old farming community, a mile east of Row’s corners, grew around the homestead of the early pioneers of Grenville County and Augusta Township. Settlers were farming here in the 1790’s. A Methodist congregation was thriving here in 1830 (though they had no church). The community derived its’ name from the Biblical ‘Bethel […]

New Dublin- A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

New Dublin (Lamb’s Pond; Dublin Corners)   Lamb’s Pond was the original name of this settlement, the name being taken from a mile long body of water on the Lamb Homestead.   Nicholas Burns was born in Dublin, Ireland and as a lad of 19, migrated to Canada in 1820. He settled at Lamb’s Pond […]

Redan – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Redan An obscure fort which figured in the Crimean War 1854-56, gave this community its name. One of the stumbling blocks to the British assault on the Russian Black Sea port of Sevastopol, was the Redan, a fort in the centre of the bastion’s defences. British troops made two terrific attacks on the Redan, only […]

Hamlets of Elizabethtown

When Elizabethtown was settled by United Empire Loyalist after the American Revolution, not everyone settled along the shores of the St. Lawrence River. Some were given lots in the untamed, forested wilderness in the rear of Elizabethtown, far from the river. They had to make their way with their families and belongings along Indian paths […]