Greenbush – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Greenbush (Old’s Corners) Origins The lure of a fresh spring in the Canadian wilderness led to the founding of this community. In 1790, an 18 year old immigrant, whose family tree could be traced back to France of the 16th Century trekked overland from his home in Andover, Massachusetts with his bride, and after a […]

Gosford – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Gosford This old community, lying in both Elizabethtown and Augusta Townships is reached by the Gosford Road which leads off the Brockville-North Augusta road eight miles northeast of Brockville. The early history of this old Elizabethtown township community has been lost in the mists of time, but it is known that settlers were living here […]

Elizabethtown-Kitley Fire Department

“Edna’s Scrapbook” is a paperback book written by Edna B. Chant and was published in 1998. Edna Chant was a reported with the “Athens Reporter” for 23 years and she is the author of four books. Her book, which is made up of news clippings from various sources, from which we have taken excerpts, gives […]

Lehigh Cemetery – 1831- present

Lehigh Cemetery – 1831 to present Concession 10, Lot 22, Twp of Elizabethtown Kitley*, GPS: 44.707355, -75.952617- Hwy 29 to Line Road 9 turn west south side of road. One mile south of Frankville on the Leigh Cemetery Road. (all photos taken November 2016)- 318 Line Road 9 A Brief History of Lehigh Cemetery Lot […]

Soper’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Soper’s School (Otterman’s School)  School Section No. 13   Concession #9, Lot 12, built 1850 (see map) present address 661 Kitley Line 8 The origins of the original Soper School have been lost in the sands of time. It was probably a log cabin school and existed on the site as early as 1820. This […]

Shane’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Shane’s School School Section No. 2 (School Section #2- Elmsley Township)   Concession #1, Lot 9, in South Elmsley Township (see map) In 1873, school trustees received the deed for a property of land from Henry Shane. A new stone building was constructed in 1875 (or 1887), replacing an older school further down the road […]

Rock Springs School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rock Springs School (School Section # 19 – Kitley) (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown)   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: no report 1854: no report   If anyone has any information on this […]

Redan School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Redan School (School Section #20 – Kitley) (School Section # 26 – Elizabethtown)   Redan was settled in the years 1840-1860 by Irish Immigrants. The original inhabitants were the Youngs, the Marshalls, Burnetts, Pritchards, Motts, Richards and Wilsons. The old Richardson homestead here was originally part of a clergy reserve. In 1854 the government released […]

Rathwell’s School (Jasper) – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Rathwell’s School (Jasper School) School Section #22  (Wolford School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 4 (see map) After 1858 the school that was Wolford  SS#22 became Rathwell’s School, northeast corner of County Road 16 and Corkoran Road. (Note: on the 1862-62 map there was no school at this location, the closest school we […]

Newbliss School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Newbliss School (School Section No. 5)   Concession #4, Lot 13, built late 1830’s (see map) present address 655 County Rd 29 Newbliss village had a log school which was replaced in 1874 by a stone structure. Newbliss School was phased out of existence in 1961 with the pupils being transferred to Jasper. Newbliss had […]

Mott’s Mills – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mott’s Mills School  (School Section No. 3)   Concession #3, Lot 21, built c1833 (see map) Generations of Mott’s Mills children were educated at the community’s old one room school, which closed around 1950. The original log school was built on Lot 21 of the 3rd Concession of Kitley. It was succeed by a frame […]

Mitchell’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mitchell School (School Section No. 16)   Concession #8, Lot 23, built late 1840’s (see map “This school was a Union School and served part of Bastard Township where it was known as School Section #17. According to an April 19th, 1849 Brockville Recorder, 65 pounds was granted to build a schoolhouse for this section. […]

Mahon’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Mahon’s School (School Section No. 10) Bellamys Mill was its own common school section, known as school section #10. The school, first built in 1836, was named S.S. #10 Mahon’s School. The first log schoolhouse burned down and was rebuilt in the 1850’s across the road. The school ran successfully until the 1910’s when it was […]

Lehigh’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lehigh’s School (Leehy’s School) School Section #18   Concession #9, Lot 22 (see map) Gideon Leehy believed in educating the youngsters, so he put up a log school on the south side of Kitley’s Ninth Concession Road. The school lasted until 1851, when it burned down. By this time a number of other families had […]

Lake Eloida School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Lake Eloida School School Section #17 Concession #10, Lot 27 (see map) present address 153 Lake Eloida Rd.   Known as “17 Kitley and 19 Yonge” built on part of Concession 10, Lot 27 in KItley. It served the rear lots of 10 to 30 of Concession 10 in Kitley, Concession 11 of Yonge and […]

Kinch St. School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Kinch St. School  (School Section No. 8)   Concession #6, Lot 9, built 1840’s (see map) present address 735 Kitley Line 5 The first log school house here was built in the early 1840’s on the west corner of the farm of pioneer Isaac Foster. Known as S.S. #8, the log school burned down a […]

Judgeville School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Judgeville School  (School Section No. 7)   Concession #4, Lot 26, built prior to 1870 (see map   Excerpt from Dr. Glenn Lockwood’s book “Kitley 1795-1975” Judgeville School, S.S. No. 7, contained a public school and a separate school. The separate school goes back prior to the 1870’s, ad in 1872, Mr. James Dempsey was […]

Hutton’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Hutton’s School  (School Section No. 1)   Concession #1, Lot 7, built late 1870’s (see map) Present address is 852 Kitley Line 7   Little to nothing is known about this school. “It is presumed that the present stone structure was erected in the late 1870’s or sometime thereafter. It is also safe to presume […]

Frankville – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Frankville School We are not sure if the school S.S. 14 was the earliest school in the Frankville area. Frankville has a rather distinctive history as far as schools are concerned considering that it was the only centre in Kitley to have a grammar school which was the equivalent of a present day high school. […]

Crystal School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Crystal School  (School Section No. 12)   Concession #7, Lot 6, built 1875 (see map) George Hornick built the area’s first school. The school was located in Lot 6 of the 7th Concession. The exact date of the construction is unknown but it was listed in the 1861 census. It was a school which held […]

Coad’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Coad’s School Originally called Dack’s School  (School Section No. 6)   Concession #4, Lot 17, built early 19th Century (see map) presentaddress502KitleyLine4   The former Coad’s school, a stone building, was erected in 1875, replacing the earlier log cabin school. The school had originally been named for the Dack Family, but adopted the name of […]

Blanchard’s School – A One Room Schoolhouse in Kitley

Blanchard’s School (School Section No. 4) Concession #1, Lot 26, built 1834  (see map) present address 47Kitley/SouthElmssleyTwpRoad Shane’s School enjoyed an upswing in attendance during the 1950’s, when more people moved into the area. Further down the Town Line Road, Blanchard’s School suffered reverses and was closed in 1956. Pupils from Blanchard’s were then transferred […]

Glossville – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glossville The motorist passes through the former hamlet of Glossville so fast that they don’t realize that they just passed through a bit of Elizabethtown history. Probably 100 to 125 years ago, Glossville was in its glory. But when the oldest residents of the area were in their childhood, the name of Glossville was already […]

Glen Buell – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Glen Buell  (Hayes Corners) This quiet hamlet on Highway 29, nine miles north of Brockville has a long and chequered history dating back to 1787. Back then it was wilderness dotted by farms and homesteads of the early settlers. It is located where Hwy 29 crosses the Seventh Concession of Elizabethtown,   Originally known as […]

Forthton – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Forthton (Unionville) John Kilborn and his wife Elizabeth Baldwin established a store at Unionville about 1816. He was also given a government post assisting settlement of immigrants. Many of the early residents of the Perth area passed through his hands. The settlers travelled overland by wagon and in some cases had to cut their own […]

Stewart’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Stewart’s School (School Section #1 – Elizabethtown) (School Section #16 – Augusta)   Adiel Sherwood inherited Lots 1 & 2 on the death of his father in 1826, and four years later sold Lot 1 to Henry Bradfield, a stone mason. Bradfield who lived here for 50 years also donated land for a school in […]

Row’s Corners – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Row’s Corners (School Section # 4)   This is all the information we have on this school. If anyone as any additional information or photos on this school we would appreciate hearing from you.       School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already […]

Rock Springs – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Rock Springs School (School Section #25 – Elizabethtown) (School Section # 19 – Kitley)   This is all the information we have on this school If anyone has inforation or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have […]

Read’s School – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Read’s School (School Section 2- Elizabethtown) (School Section 30 – Augusta)   Read’s Public School, a log structure, was built in 1831 and served the community of Bethel for nearly 50 years until a stone building was erected in 1880 on the same plot of land. The land had originally been donated by UEL Pioneer […]

Moore’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Moore’s School (School Section #21)     We have no additional information about this school. If anyone has any information or photos, we would appreciate hearing from you.     School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents […]

Mead’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Mead’s Sectional School No. 14 We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you. School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Frame Building, […]

Maud’s – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Maud’s School (School Section No. 18)   We have very little information on this school. If anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: […]

Manhard’s – A One Room School House in Elizabethtown

Manhards School (School Section # 13) We have no information on this school. If anyone has any informaion or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: Stone […]

Jellby – A One Room School House in Eizabethtown

Jellby School (School Section # 22)   We have no information about this school, if anyone has any information or photos we would appreciate hearing from you.   School Superintendents Report (Ontario Archives) Shows the following information, which in some cases contradicts what we have already researched, and contradicts other filed School Superintendents Reports: 1850: […]

Providence Chapel

Providence Chapel at Crystal Methodists worshipped anywhere they could find shelter, a barn being used on more than one occasion but in 1834, the congregation built a log chapel on the eastern edge of Kitley Township in the community known as Crystal and the church subsequently bore the name “Providence Chapel”. The church was used […]

Cornell / Rowsome Place Cemetery

Rowsome Place Cemetery, also Cornell Cemetery Concession 10, Lot 8, Cty Rd #7 – GPS- 44.747091, -75.868586                   List of grave sites as per the Brockville Genealogical Society   Last First Died Comments Aged/Born Cornell Cecelia C. Sep 1, 1863 Age 7 yrs, 11 mos, 2 d’s […]

Horton Cemetery

Horton Cemetery 6539 New Dublin Rd, cor 7th Concession, in field On Private Land, Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials – Twp of Elizabethtown*  GPS- 44.667882, -75.795032     Frederick Moore Sr. 1770-1848 Eliza Bolton 1773-1815 NCO Irish Yoeman Calvary Q.M. Sgt. War 1812 Ensign 1st Leeds Militia       William Moore 1740-1820 Married in Dublin c1766 […]

Scott’s Farm Cemetery (Campbell Cemetery)

Scott’s Cemetery – Campbell Cemetery Concession 10, Lot 4, Cty Rd 7 to Atkins Lake Rd before the county line (Alternate names: Mrs. Scott’sFarm, Scott’s Farm Cemetery)                   List of Graves:  Inserted “?” if not legible   JELLY, William John Died May 16, 1909 age 46 yrs. […]

Sanford / Loverin Burying Ground

Sanford / Loverin Burying Ground Concession 9, Lot 26-27), Location: West of Greenbush, 9330 Addison Greenbush Rd, north side- Twp of Elizabethtown* GPS not available   Graves:   David Morton Sanford Died June 2, 1912 Aged 53 yrs. Wealtha Hurlbert Wife of David Morton Died June 21, 1893 Aged 34 8 mos. 6 days Margaret […]

White’s Corners – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

White’s Corners (Whitehurst and Orchard Valley)   This forgotten community lies just east of Jellby, on the Jellby – North Augusta Road. The area is reached via the Greenbush Road to Greenbush, Rocksprings Road through its junction with the Jellby Road. Landmarks to look for are John Jelly’s old homestead and ¾ of a mile […]

Shiloh – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Shiloh  (Bell’s Crossing) The hamlet of Shiloh is located at the intersection of Shiloh Road and the road to Rocksprings. The old Bolton School once stool on the property of Henry White. The school once stood near the Bolton Cemetery on Lot 5 of the Tenth Concession in Elizabethtown. A Methodist church was built here […]

Bell’s Crossing – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bell’s Crossing (Shiloh, Whitehurst and White’s Corners)   “What was the neighbourhood at Bell’s Crossing called before the railway was put through there – was it Whitehurst? The name Whitehurst was simply the name of the post office, and as far as I can remember there was no post office there before the railway (Brockville […]

Kerr Family Cemetery

Kerr Family Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 25, Location: East side of County Road 7, just north of Greenbush, behind #9472 Cty Rd. 7, – Twp of Elizabethtown* – GPS- 44.701591, 75.858257     List of Graves:    Inserted “?” if not legible   KERR, Susan (daughter of George & Eleanor) – died February 5, 1863 […]

Hanton Cemetery

Hanton Cemetery Concession 9, Lot 14, 565 Kitley Line 8, Unregistered cemetery, east of Frankville on Kitley Line 8 Rd, on private property GPS: 44.742420, -75.926664   Inserted a ‘?’ if not legible Tombstones Names:   MULVAUGH, Mary wife of Alonzo Soper Died Jan. 9, 1859 age 51 yrs. MULVAUGH, William Sept. 20, 1819 – […]

Booth Burying Ground

Booth Burying Ground Concession: 4, Lot: 32; Location: Seeley’s, on the west side of Perth Road between Kilkenny Road and Howe Road; Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.584538,- 75.805278                         Also buried here is Mathew Booth 1796-1852 and […]

Manhard – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Manhard This is only community in the eastern side of the township, because the only road north from Brockville was the notorious and deserted “smugglers’ highway’, was Manhard. Manhard is located at the junction of the 5th Concession, at the edge of the Manhard Bog. It was settled by David Manhard, a German, and his […]

Grant’s Creek

Crossing Grant’s Creek The creek takes its name from the original settlers of the area the Grant Family. We are fortunate to have old post cards, prints and photos showing how the original bridge looked. Today as you drive along the highway, you can cross the creek without really even knowing it’s there.     […]

Brockville Cemeteries

The Brockville Cemeteries The cemetery comprises 14 acres of land on either side of the highway. It has been owned and operated by the City of Brockville since 1860, when all the older in-town cemeteries were closed and the graves moved into this area. The land was purchased from the Grant Family. The land south […]

Brockville Cemetery Memorial Works

The Brockville Cemetery Memorial Works Just past the Lyn road on the south side of the highway you would come to this next business. Lancelot de Carle was the founder of the business now known as Brockville Cemetery Memorial Works. Lancelot de Carle was first in business in Prescott on that town’s King Street one […]

Riverside Park Ice Skating

Riverside Park Ice Skating Rink Across from the mink farm, during the winters of the 1930’s was an open air skating rink that was enjoyed by both the people of Brockville and Elizabethtown. Located on the south side of the highway, across from the Lyn Road, the rink was lit up at night and if […]

The Brockville Country Club

The Brockville Country Club Established in 1914 this club was originally a nine hole golf course with 7 holes on the south side of the highway and two on the north side. The original clubhouse was burned in 1937 and a newer clubhouse on the same spot was built to replace it. The clubhouse was located on […]

Brockville

Brockville We started our trip entering Elizabethtown from the east. Just as we passed the Ontario Hospital we would have noticed the sign welcoming us to Brockville. At this point Hwy No. 2 turns into King St East. “Brockville was the first police village (1832) in Upper Canada, when its population reached 1000; the first […]

Louise Crummy McKinney – Our People, Our Heritage

Louise C. McKinney Louise Crummy McKinney was the first woman to be elected to a parliament seat in the British Empire. She accomplished the feat in 1917 in Alberta. Louise was the seventh child and second daughter of Richard Crummy and his wife the former Ester Empey. Richard Crummy was an immigrant from County Cavan, […]

Browntown Cemetery

Browntown Cemetery Concession: 9, Lot: 33; 1 mile north of Addison Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.675611, -75.884843 The photos and information were sent to us by E.Seabrooke, many thanks for them. They reported that this is the only headstone left standing in the cemetery plot.       […]

Browntown – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Browntown Few people today have ever heard of Browntown, but 100 to 150 years ago, this village of the Browns was a bustling, industrious community, with mills, houses, a black smithy, stores, hard working ambitious people and a fringe of prospering farmers with huge herds of cows. Prickly ash cover the slopes and only the […]

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Cemetery

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Cemetery Concession: 6, Lot: 20; – New Dublin Community Cemetery Board* – Across the road from the New Dublin Cemetery – GPS- 44.667349, -75.800447                                                         […]

Fulford Pioneer Cemetery

Fulford Pioneer Cemetery Concession: 1, Lot: 28; Location: at the south end of Fulford Point Road, west of Brockville , established in 1786 – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS- 44.541371, -75.750953 Anyone visiting this cemetery should respect the  “No Parking” signs as this is private property.                       […]

Fairfield East – A Forgotten Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Fairfield East For many years, this community, a couple of miles north of Brockville, was served by a tiny store at the southeast corner of the main intersection in Fairfield East. Operated by Fred Bain and his wife, the store, though small, sold everything the community needed.  Bain Road which runs east past the store […]

St. Andrew’s Church Cemetery

St. Andrew’s United Church Cemetery, Toledo, Concession 6, Lot 23,St.Andrew’s United Cemetery Board*, GPS: 44.739357, -75.997335 The cemetery is located between the two churches in the heart of Toledo   St. Andrews United Church                     James Hudson d April 27 1884 and Margaret Hudson d Aug […]

Old St.Francis Xavier Cemetery

St. Francis Xavier Cemetery Concession: 1, Lot: 19/20; Alternate Cemetery Names: Brockville Cemetery; Old Catholic Cemetery – Brockville Cemetery Board* GPS- 44.574218, -75.720199 This cemetery is located behind Old St.Peter’s Cemetery and the Old Protestant Cemetery on the south side of Highway No.2 west of Brockville                   […]

St. Peter’s and the Old Prostestant Cemetery

St. Peter’s and the Old Protestant Cemetery, Brockville Concession: 1; Lot: 19/20; Location Address: Hwy 2, west of Brockville; Alternate Cemetery Name: Old Protestant Cemetery – Brockville Cemetery Board* GPS: 44.569994, -75.724892 This cemetery has been owned and operated by the City of Brockville since 1860, when fourteen acres of land on the western outskirts of […]

Howard Cemetery

Howard Cemetery Concession: 2, Lot 21; Location: South of the Centennial Road, across from the Parslow Road.- Howard Cemetery Board* – GPS- 44.593936, -75.748093, Drive to the end of the road and then onto a grass covered road. There is room to turn a car around at the end. Fenced, Gated and gate locked.   […]

Foxton Cemetery – 1832-1970

Foxton Cemetery – 1832-1970 Concession: 4, Lot: 14; Location: North-East of Tincap, on Airport Rd; Alternate Cemetery Name: Glazier – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.634215, -75.749818, Near 4522 Airport Road                     List of Grave sites from the Brockville Genealogical Society   Last First Died Comments Aged/Born […]

Bethel – A Hamlet in Elizabethtown

Bethel This fine old farming community, a mile east of Row’s corners, grew around the homestead of the early pioneers of Grenville County and Augusta Township. Settlers were farming here in the 1790’s. A Methodist congregation was thriving here in 1830 (though they had no church). The community derived its’ name from the Biblical ‘Bethel […]

Lyn Cemetery

Lyn Cemetery Origins of the Cemetery and the Union Church The origin of Lyn Cemetery is obscure, but would appear to have originated with the first church, the Union Church, built by the Methodists on the spot where the drive-sheds for the St. John the Baptist (Church of England) were later built, now a parking […]

Pepper Cemetery

Pepper Cemetery / Lucas Cemetery Concession: 10, Lot: 33; Cemetery Status: Closed to further burials  – Twp of Elizabethtown* – GPS- 44.685269, -75.890647- Redan Road north of Addison- Photos taken August 2016       List of Graves Andrew Pepper b 1847 d Feb 11, 1920 Evalina Pepper b 1871 d 1896 Jane Pepper b […]

Glen Buell Cemetery – 1854-1989

Glen Buell Cemetery – 1854-1989 Concession 6, Lot 30 Location: East side of Highway 29, south of Glen Buell – Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS- 44.634845, -75.838993, , The cemetery is located just north of house number 6065, Cty Rd. 29, dircetly north of the cemetery is a mowed path leading to the cemetery.- photos taken […]

Bolton’s Cemetery – 1833-1955

Bolton’s Cemetery – 1833-1955 Concession 10, Lot 4, Jelly Road, east of Fly Creek Rd- Twp of Elizabethtown*, GPS: 44.765736, -75.787592, Directly beside a house at 11842 Rocksprings Road. Photos taken in August 2016                                             […]