Lyn Grist and Flour Mill

Lyn Grist and Four Mill

The original Lyn Mill was located on Main Street near the By-Wash. The original mill burned and was replaced by a second mill in the same location. This mill burned as well, and this time was not rebuilt, but a new mill was built below the village.

“In 1859 the Coleman’s rebuilt and improved their grist mill. James Coleman put up what was the tallest mill in Eastern Ontario, rising five floors above the valley floor at Lyn. It had more powerful yet simple machinery.

After the Coleman business was taken over by the Bank of Upper Canada, a Mr. J. Cumming, who had worked for the Coleman’s, bought it. He in turn, re-modelled the mill and it was said to be the latest thing in flour mill equipment. It turned out 300 bags of flour a day, of several different bands. In his advertisement he stated, ‘The popularity of my various brands for over 25 years is largely owing to the careful blending of the Hard wheat for strength, the Red winter for flavour, and the White fall for colour’. Mr. Cumming was an outstanding business man and a leading citizen of this community. He was killed in a train accident in 1916. His son, Gordon, ran the mill until its closure in 1933” (1)

Unfortunately there are no records of the business conducted at the mill. The only remaining artefacts from the mill are located within the Heritage Place Museum. Stones from the mill have been incorporated into the internal design of the museum in the front room.

(1) Lyn 1784-1984 by Mary G.Robb

Mill at Lyn WB3 (1)

 

 

Lyn Flour Mill (3) Lyn Flour Mill (4) Lyn Mill Ont Archives Photo copyrighted WB3 Mill at Lyn WB3 (3) Flour Mill Mills 1 WB3Lyn Mills 1881 Carson Bk1P18
Lyn Flour Mill (5) Lyn Flour Mill (2) Inside Old Mill WB3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *