Cedar Lawn (18 Perth St.)
It is built of brick, unusual in Elizabethtown, with stone quoins defining the corners and semi circular windows in the attic. It was built in two stages: the main house in the 1840’s and two large wings added in the 1860’s. The house today has been restored and looks much like it did in the late 1800’s.
Lyn Presbyterian Church (12 Perth St.)
The Presbyterians commenced holding services at Lyn, about the year 1811. The present church was erected in 1872. It is built of stone, the style of architecture being Gothic. The cost was about $5,000. The sittings number 200, and the society includes the congregation at Caintown, as well as Lyn.(1) Many years ago the church was transferred to the Methodists and today is known as Christ United Church.
(1) Leavitts Hstory of Leeds and Grenville pub 1879
Willson House Hotel (1 Perth St.)
Willson’s hotel was one of several hotels that served the various business travellers
who passed through Lyn in the mid to late 1800’s. The house still exists at 1 Perth St., however the front porch has been removed making the structure look much smaller. The top floor windows and roof peaks still give the look of the original hotel.
St.John the Baptist Anglican Church. (37 Main St. W)
Through the efforts of the late James Coleman, assisted by a few other churchmen, funds were secured for the organization of an English Church at Lyn. The erection of the present church was commenced in 1860, with Bishop Lewis, then Rector of Brockville, taking the deepest interest in the undertaking, the good work being continued by the Rev. John Strange, Rev. R.L.Jones, and the present Rector, the Rev. Henry Austin. The building is of stone, Gothic style of architecture, and contains about 300 sittings. (Leavitts History of Leeds and Grenville pub 1879)
Lyn Cemetery (37 Main St. W)
Lyn Cemetery is one of Ontario’s oldest continuously used cemeteries. It was dedicated sometime around 1790. The Cemetery is situated behind the Anglican Church on the ledge of a gently rolling ridge overlooking a picturesque glen. Above and around this are the granite outcroppings left exposed by the last Ice Age as part of the Pre-Cambrian Shield. (Lyn 1784-1984 by Mary Robb)
The Coleman Hotel (5&7 Main St. E)
Located across from the pump at Main and Perth Streets, construction was started in 1811 and finished in 1812. It was used by commuters on the B&W R.R. Charlie Lewis built the front porch from used cedar from a caboose. The stone part of the house (the back addition), was used as a kitchen. The stable, now gone, had a hired hands’ quarter for people arriving by horse which was included in their lodging as well as their meal. Known as the oldest building in Lyn built in 1814.
St. John’s Hall (11 Main St. W)
This was the church hall for St. John’s Anglican Church. It had hardwood floors and was the location for local dinners and dances.
Stewart’s Garage (19 Main St. W)
Jock and John Stewart ran a garage and gas station out of this building for many years. They also ran Stewart’s Bus Lines, providing local transportation to and from Brockville, School Bus Services and operated Tour Buses. In 1999 this building was renovated and is now the home to Heritage Place Museum.
Lyn By-Wash (Across from 19 Main St W)
The original mill was located to the right (east) of the water fall. The small dam backed up the Lyn Pond and supplied water to the small mill. The dam was later blown up and the Lyn pond was drained.When the large grist mill was built below the village this dam and waterfall continued to supply power to several industries located across Main Street including the Last Factory and Saw Mill.
The Blacksmiths Shop ( 30 Main St. W)
The end of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century saw the development of the country blacksmith’s role. At that time, there was an average of one blacksmith for every 100 families, 3-5 blacksmiths per village. The blacksmith enabled the community to save money. Inhabitants paid a fixed price for the year and could have their horses shod as often as they wished. Clients used a barter system and paid in kind with farm or forest products. Sometimes the blacksmith lent money at interest; sometimes he resold grains, vegetables, meats and other produce that he received in payment.
Root Manufacturing (31 Main St.W.)
This company made various types of wooden bowls, scoops and measuring cups. Items from this company are on display in the Heritage Place Museum. To the east of this building can be seen a concrete wall, which was part of the canal that took water from the Lyn Pond to the main grist mill below the village. There was a drop of 50 feet from here to the mill.
Lyn Public School (School Section #7) (1 Church St.)
The first school house was located in the centre of the village by the creek. It was abandoned for a newer one- room brick school at the west end of the Village, across from the present building. It was in use until 1867 when it burned down. The stone school house (seen here), was built in 1867 and served the children of the district until 1959/1960. The classrooms were on the ground floor and the second floor boasted a small stage so that concerts and plays could take place. Parties and dances were held there too.
Methodist Church (cor. of Church and Main St W.)
This church, built of brick, has an area of 60 x 84 feet, with a tower 112 feet square. It was erected in 1857 and is situated on part of Lot No.30 in the 3rd Concession. The original site was a gift from Richard Coleman Sr. The charge includes four congregations: those of Lyn, Caintown, Mallorytown, and Rockfield. The total membership was 300, of whom 80 belonged to the Lyn charge. (Leavitts History of Leeds and Grenville pub 1879)
In the 1980’s this church was reopened as St.Andrew Roman Catholic Church, it has since closed.